The Huge DRM Driver Update Submitted For Linux 4.12: Vega, Atomic & Co

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Huge DRM Driver Update Submitted For Linux 4.12: Vega, Atomic & Co

Phoronix: The Huge DRM Driver Update Submitted For Linux 4.12: Vega, Atomic & Co

David Airlie has submitted the Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) feature changes for the Linux 4.12 kernel. The DRM changes this time around are particularly massive, driven by the addition of the initial Radeon RX Vega support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So I take it the Vega related stuff is what's been in DRM-Next for the last couple of weeks? Because if I'm not mistaken the 4.12 merge window just opened and this would be the right time to mainline the Vega support found in DRM-Next.

Comment

> three hundred thousand lines of code

That's quite a number. And later there'll be even more for the non-headless part. I hope it'll be a separate driver, otherwise eveyone even without Vega would have quite a large kernel image. (Though I was even more shocked when I saw those initrds of binary distributions... it's probably necessary but definitely not suitable for small boot partitions of 16, 32 or 64 MiB size.)
      Let's hope DC will make it into 4.13 so people can enjoy the free driver without too much ado, soon.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        So I take it the Vega related stuff is what's been in DRM-Next for the last couple of weeks? Because if I'm not mistaken the 4.12 merge window just opened and this would be the right time to mainline the Vega support found in DRM-Next.
        Huh??? I guess you're behind on your Phoronix reading.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Huh??? I guess you're behind on your Phoronix reading.
          Well ok, it's a bit more than a couple of weeks, but don't merge windows for kernels open once the previous version releases?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Well ok, it's a bit more than a couple of weeks, but don't merge windows for kernels open once the previous version releases?
            Yes, it always opens once the previous kernel is released. The work has been in DRM-Next the past couple of weeks as covered on Phoronix and this article is about the pull request for submission into 4.12, so your comment just doesn't make sense as it's just always been expected and scheduled to go in that way.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              > three hundred thousand lines of code

That's quite a number. And later there'll be even more for the non-headless part. I hope it'll be a separate driver, otherwise eveyone even without Vega would have quite a large kernel image. (Though I was even more shocked when I saw those initrds of binary distributions... it's probably necessary but definitely not suitable for small boot partitions of 16, 32 or 64 MiB size.)
              As Michael said, most of the new code is register header information which does not directly contribute to binary size... so no need to make a separate driver.

This initial Vega support is over three hundred thousand lines of code due to all of the register definitions added for Vega.
              Last edited by bridgman; 03 May 2017, 08:41 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes, it always opens once the previous kernel is released. The work has been in DRM-Next the past couple of weeks as covered on Phoronix and this article is about the pull request for submission into 4.12, so your comment just doesn't make sense as it's just always been expected and scheduled to go in that way.
                I was just asking to confirm this, not making a statement...

Comment

Michael what is your source for the "Vega should be launching later in May"?

Comment

Hmm there is lots of new stuff for Vega I haven't seen before like for the PSP, NBIO, SOC15(?). But no display

BTW: ROCm 1.5 seems to be released including Vega support?!

Comment

Working...
                    X