Ubuntu 17.04 Drops DRM Support For Old VIA, SiS, R128 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I don't think that is the reason, for example ARM see Mali blob drivers they are still in that area

https://developer.arm.com/products/s...ers/user-space

So i can only conclude that mainline x86 and future non-proof drivers tend to be bloat on average
    I didn't mean that was the reason, just that in the past people were more motivated to reject bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I didn't mean that was the reason, just that in the past people were more motivated to reject bloat.
      As soon as you buy new mainline hardware, you are ready for more bloat... that is how things looks like to me

Comment

They were considered for dropping several years ago already, however the modesetting driver wasn't good enough yet. No one expected people to game on those and most DE still could go without 3D compositing, these drivers still provided EXA acceleration and didn't take up much room, thus they were kept. Now that a real push is being made towards rootless X and the modesetting driver is working well, they're more of a hindrance than anything.
        Note that machines sporting these chips should still work well with light DE such as LXDE, MATE (without Compiz) or Xfce with compositing disabled should be fair. Forget about Unity, Gnome or KDE though.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

Or give it to me. I'm accepting donations of old hardware
          So we can waste money and energy on shipping, and then you can waste energy running that old crap?
          You're most likely being facetious, but come on now. This old crap has to die.
          I'm not a premium member but I think I would appreciate a test of old crap like this against the newest generation of the cheapest intel/amd/raspberry has to offer and then compare performance per watt, and the cost savings involved. I'm guessing it's actually cheaper to buy new stuff when you factor in electricity costs.

Comment

typo:

"done bycause they"

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
              They were considered for dropping several years ago already, however the modesetting driver wasn't good enough yet. No one expected people to game on those and most DE still could go without 3D compositing, these drivers still provided EXA acceleration and didn't take up much room, thus they were kept. Now that a real push is being made towards rootless X and the modesetting driver is working well, they're more of a hindrance than anything.
              Note that machines sporting these chips should still work well with light DE such as LXDE, MATE (without Compiz) or Xfce with compositing disabled should be fair. Forget about Unity, Gnome or KDE though.
              I wouldn't even rule KDE out. I could run KDE4 with compositing enabled on an i945 or something like that.
              Though machines that old are probably acting as routers/firewalls anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                So we can waste money and energy on shipping, and then you can waste energy running that old crap?
                You're most likely being facetious, but come on now.
                No, I'm actually serious. I guess you never heard of retro computing/gaming then.

Comment

Well, even in countries were computer hardware is much more expensive than the US, at last here in Brazil, you can buy 5/7 years old hardware that is still maintained in modern distros for dirt cheap. Heck, you can even get it for free when people you know dump old machines. I can only imagine that people filing bug reports for the missing drivers are hobbyists that find cool run old machines. Or people stuck on forgotten parts of the world were even internet is a hard thing to get.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    at last here in Brazil
                    I know that feel bro, waiting for Ryzen 7 prices go below R$ 2,000 so I don't have to sell my car to build a great system

Comment

Who would use ubuntu to begin with? :\

Comment

Working...
                      X