Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.04 Drops DRM Support For Old VIA, SiS, R128 GPUs

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.04 Drops DRM Support For Old VIA, SiS, R128 GPUs

The stock kernel of Ubuntu 17.04 is doing away with Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) support for a number of ancient graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it concerns with chipset which provides embedded video support. Right?

Comment

I understand why they're doing it, but it's a pity :/ I guess I'll have to go with older releases for my one SiS machine.

Comment

Just dump the stuff in the recycle bin. An intel celeron kaby lake is cheap and will save you money in electrical costs. Would an rpi3 not also be faster?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
          Just dump the stuff in the recycle bin.
          Or give it to me. I'm accepting donations of old hardware

Comment

Or just put Windows XP on these Last driver for Rage 128 was in year 2002. so 15 years ago

How small was drivers bundles back then... just 7-9 MB and that also include control panel, while current linux driver bundle are 116 MB without control panel support

Full featured Windows drivers and we are speaking of half a GB driver and that also very good compressed one Back in Rage time most people didn't have this big HDDs... future is bloatware, really
            Last edited by dungeon; 11 April 2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I'm honestly surprised that they haven't dropped support for those chips years ago. Exposing insecure APIs to userspace is bad when something is still being maintained, but it's even worse when it's not being maintained anymore.

So goodbye and good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                I'm honestly surprised that they haven't dropped support for those chips years ago.
                It was obsoleted or better to say dropped and was unaccelerated really, these UMS drivers was dropped as of Mesa 8 or something, so 5 years ago. But actually no one cared much of these since 8 years ago or so

After that it was only literal or should i say paperware and basic support

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  ... Back in Rage time most people didn't have this big HDDs... future is bloatware, really
                  Back then we were on 14.4kbps dial-up. 100kB/min dl ftw!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Back then we were on 14.4kbps dial-up. 100kB/min dl ftw!!!
                    I don't think that is the reason, for example ARM see Mali blob drivers they are still in that area

https://developer.arm.com/products/s...ers/user-space

So i can only conclude that mainline x86 and future non-proof drivers tend to be bloat on average

Comment

Working...
                    X