• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tessio View Post

Five characters..
    What do you mean stable?
    PHP 7.1 is the stable release.
    Python 3.6 is the stable release.
    None of these are alpha, beta or release candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Why not?
      Because on Windows I can have all the latest packages.
      Why on Ubuntu I have to settle with less and run old software?
      Because that's what Ubuntu does: ship the stable packages, not the latest packages. Between rolling distros, distros built to be bleeding edge, frequently updated distros and conservative distros, you pick one of the most conservative (outside the enterprise world) and then ask why you don't get the latest and greatest. You really can't answer that yourself?

I'm also not sure what a "package" means for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Because that's what Ubuntu does: ship the stable packages, not the latest packages. Between rolling distros, distros built to be bleeding edge, frequently updated distros and conservative distros, you pick one of the most conservative (outside the enterprise world) and then ask why you don't get the latest and greatest. You really can't answer that yourself?

I'm also not sure what a "package" means for Windows.
        Well on Windows I can download the latest PHP and Python and they are indeed stable.
        I wouldn't know why these are not considered stable on Ubuntu.

Comment

Well on Windows I can download the latest PHP and Python and they are indeed stable.
          I wouldn't know why these are not considered stable on Ubuntu.
          You can download the latest PHP and Python on Ubuntu, too, but that's not what you're complaining about.

Comment

Why not?
            Because on Windows I can have all the latest packages.
            Why on Ubuntu I have to settle with less and run old software?
            You can download the latest software on Ubuntu too, genius.. just pretend you are using Windows and don't use the package repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post

You can download the latest software on Ubuntu too, genius.. just pretend you are using Windows and don't use the package repositories.
              Then you can't download a installer and install it, then you have to download the source code and compile it yourself, which is a mess because you need to download a few hundred libraries and then you can't uninstall it.

Comment

Working...
              X