Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students Are Missing Out On An Incredible Opportunity To Get Involved With Mesa, Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OwenEdwards
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Students Are Missing Out On An Incredible Opportunity To Get Involved With Mesa, Wayland
    do my homework for me
    For student developers wishing to look for an interesting summer project while being paid by Google, the GSoC application deadlines are on Monday, 3 April. Sadly, the X.Org/Wayland/Mesa turnout so far for applicants are very low...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...7-Xorg-Turnout
    Wayland currently works quite well with the open Intel, Radeon, and Nouveau drivers, including the Mesa Gallium drivers.
    This is for those who want to participate.

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I'm afraid it's too late. Microsoft is throwing a lot of money to bribe everyone to use their products...
    We know that the Munich decision remains a big embarrassment for them, and they are still throwing a lot of effort into trying to overturn that.

But I don’t think it’s too late. Not when you see how they are being forced to add a Linux compatibility layer into Windows--they know that is the only way to attract the developers now. But then those developers will realize: why pay for an inferior imitation when you can get the real thing for free?

Leave a comment:

• andrebrait
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

How about doing team collaboration with your wife on the project?
    My wife is a biologist. She can code some simple things in Perl and Python but that's about it. Even then, she doesn't really like the stuff. Also, collaborating doesn't count as spending time together.

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    Originally posted by cipri View Post
    Vulkan is the future for Linux (see the performance difference compared to opengl on linux), but wayland is not providing (and I suspect they even don't plan to have) a direct way vulkan to do the drawing. You have to go around over egl.
    cipri
    Can you elaborate on that? You're not trying to write a compositor, just a graphics framework that wants to act as a wayland client and do Vulkan rendering, right? Why can't you create a Vulkan surface from you wayland surface and render to that?

Also, re: Microsoft at universities: It's just as bad in Germany. They even recruit "Microsoft Student Partners" from within the student body to evangelize even more students, almost like a cult. It's pretty disgusting. I'm not even going to talk about how my whole university runs almost solely on Microsoft products..
    Last edited by Ancurio; 03 April 2017, 04:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
    I would like to get involved. Then again, I barely have time to do my assignments and still have *some* time with my wife...
    How about doing team collaboration with your wife on the project?

Leave a comment:

• Zoll
    replied
    This has been a problem this year for _many_ projects. The number of proposals we received in KDE compared to last year (at least for my project) is a lot less. I believe it is due to Google's adjusting the payment value for each country's economy.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by cen1 View Post
    As a former student I can hardly imagine myself getting involved in mesa at that time. The knowledge required is simply too high unless you are a graphics enthusiast at that age somehow.
    how you can talk about what you don't know is a mystery. First learn to learn then you can talk about what have you learned. The first rule to know is to know to not know enough.
    Last edited by Azrael5; 02 April 2017, 07:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    It's a high bar to cross. Unless you're already a contributor to the project, it might simply be far too scary, even for people skilled enough to do a project. I was the only one at my uni to participate in all four years, even though I advertised gsoc every year to the folks there.
    Originally posted by Danny3
    They even wanted to bribe me, by offering me a free Windows 7 licence.
    Yup, same here in Finland. I have a free Win7, Win server 2010, Visual Studio ultimate, XNA studio, etc etc etc. Basically every MS product at the time except Office lol, they want students to buy that one at least. Luckily the professors weren't in on that, every course (except naturally Windows and WP ones) were doable with Free Software, and they advertised it at the start.
    Originally posted by cipri
    ugly c-library
    Eye of the beholder. If I were forced to use a C++xxyy lib, I'd probably vomit. A clean C library is infinitely preferable to a C++ monster that has 150 levels of indirection and becomes completely undebuggable if you have a problem with it.

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post

That must mean you're portuguese.

That would explain a lot of things on Brazil :P

Leave a comment:

• Calchan
    replied
    It's not an X.org, Wayland or Mesa issue. I'm the admin for GSoC at Gentoo and we see the same issue. After speaking with other admins I know this affects most organizations. There are a lot of theories about why this is happening but mine is that it's not that simple.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X