Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students Are Missing Out On An Incredible Opportunity To Get Involved With Mesa, Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cipri View Post
    If wayland (lib-wayland) would be based on c++11 (c++14) with a great design, it would have been a triviality for the users to write easy and less error-prone wayland clients and frameworks.
    if i were using (developing for)wayland, i would write one

Comment

I smell an April's Fools!!

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
        That must mean you're portuguese.
        Also Italy, Greece and probably Spain fit that description too.

Not that in other "not-most-corrupted contries from Europe" the situation is much different on the education side.

Comment

As a former student I can hardly imagine myself getting involved in mesa at that time. The knowledge required is simply too high unless you are a graphics enthusiast at that age somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            As a former student I can hardly imagine myself getting involved in mesa at that time. The knowledge required is simply too high unless you are a graphics enthusiast at that age somehow.
            biggest mistake is to think that a lot of knowledge is required. It is not. There is enough time prior to the Gsoc project time to prepare.

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post
              The problem with c is, is that it is forcing you to use bad design, ...
              No, C does not force you to use bad design; it gives you the freedom to use bad design.

Comment

It's not an X.org, Wayland or Mesa issue. I'm the admin for GSoC at Gentoo and we see the same issue. After speaking with other admins I know this affects most organizations. There are a lot of theories about why this is happening but mine is that it's not that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

That must mean you're portuguese.

That would explain a lot of things on Brazil :P

Comment

It's a high bar to cross. Unless you're already a contributor to the project, it might simply be far too scary, even for people skilled enough to do a project. I was the only one at my uni to participate in all four years, even though I advertised gsoc every year to the folks there.
                    Originally posted by Danny3
                    They even wanted to bribe me, by offering me a free Windows 7 licence.
                    Yup, same here in Finland. I have a free Win7, Win server 2010, Visual Studio ultimate, XNA studio, etc etc etc. Basically every MS product at the time except Office lol, they want students to buy that one at least. Luckily the professors weren't in on that, every course (except naturally Windows and WP ones) were doable with Free Software, and they advertised it at the start.
                    Originally posted by cipri
                    ugly c-library
                    Eye of the beholder. If I were forced to use a C++xxyy lib, I'd probably vomit. A clean C library is infinitely preferable to a C++ monster that has 150 levels of indirection and becomes completely undebuggable if you have a problem with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X