X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpyroRyder
    replied
    Originally posted by bregma View Post

It's not that meson doesn;t work on BSD. It's that BSD would need to be rewritten to have Python built during its build bootstrap phase.
    Leaving aside the personal views of the particular BSD flavours devs, would this be such a difficult thing on a technical level?

Leave a comment:

• TingPing
    replied
    Originally posted by necrophcodr View Post
    While I realize not everyone wants FUSE as a dependency to run something like tup, I must admit I don't what's attractive about the syntax for Meson. In that area, I honestly find Ninja build files even more readable.

Can anyone provide a reasonable readable example with Meson? They don't provide one on their website.

Here is a real world example: https://github.com/matthiasclasen/gr...er/meson.build

The syntax is very simple and does nothing fancy and isn't turing complete.

Leave a comment:

• bregma
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post
    Why doesn't meson work on BSD? It's Python code.
    It's not that meson doesn;t work on BSD. It's that BSD would need to be rewritten to have Python built during its build bootstrap phase.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    If the X.Org code base is massive, maybe it could be made smaller?
    Remove old, legacy stuff. Remove unused stuff, remove deprecated stuff.
    What could be removed? DRI1, DRI2? Old input methods now that there is libinput?
    Is anything being removed?

With this new build system could there be an option to build a minimal X only for XWayland?
    Or one to build a minimal X only for GTK3 and Qt5 applications for those who don't need support legacy GTK2 and Qt3 and Qt4 applications?

Leave a comment:

• necrophcodr
    replied
    While I realize not everyone wants FUSE as a dependency to run something like tup, I must admit I don't what's attractive about the syntax for Meson. In that area, I honestly find Ninja build files even more readable.

Can anyone provide a reasonable readable example with Meson? They don't provide one on their website.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Why doesn't meson work on BSD? It's Python code.

It would seem that this conversion is a good thing - if only stuff like the following disappears: (from the blog post)
    So far the only stumbling block for the meson conversion of the X Server is the X.org sdksyms.c file. It's the ugliest part of the build -- running the C preprocessor on a generated .c that #includes a bunch of .h tiles, then running the output of that through awk and trying to parse C using regular expressions. This is, as you might guess, somewhat fragile.

Leave a comment:

• bregma
    replied
    Maybe they should revert to imake. At least it worked on the BSDs.

Leave a comment:

• The Meson Build System Is Being Fitted For The X.Org Server

Phoronix: The Meson Build System Is Being Fitted For The X.Org Server

Longtime X.Org developer Eric Anholt who previously worked for Intel and is now working for Broadcom on the open-source VC4 driver stack is working to add the Meson build system support for the xorg-server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X