No announcement yet.

The Meson Build System Is Being Fitted For The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In related news, X.Org Server 1.19 just got pushed to the -proposed repository in Ubuntu 17.04.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Yeah, that is true.
      But there could be one compile option to compile the full stack with all the legacy parts if you really want wayback compatibility.

Then there could be a compile option to compile a minimalist stack without the legacy parts, and if that breaks compatibility with X11 that is fine for me, as long as it works with GTK 3 and Qt 5 applications. If decade old stuff don't work that is fine, at least I get something faster, leaner, cleaner and with reduced attack surface.
      Already done, it's called Wayland Compositor, ask your favourite DE for that.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Already done, it's called Wayland Compositor, ask your favourite DE for that.
        Yeah, I use GNOME on Wayland, it is great.
        But then there are still X11 applications I have to run, so I run those through XWayland. But I feel like if I only use XWayland then I could have a minimalist X.Org Server with only the minimal stuff needed for XWayland without the stuff required to run a full-blown stand-alone X.Org Server session.

Comment

I feel like if I only use XWayland then I could have a minimalist X.Org Server with only the minimal stuff needed for XWayland without the stuff required to run a full-blown stand-alone X.Org Server session.
          That's what XWayland is already, a minimal wrapper to run (modern) X11 applications using a minimal and modern "display server" (a wayland compositor).

Comment

That's what XWayland is already, a minimal wrapper to run (modern) X11 applications using a minimal and modern "display server" (a wayland compositor).
            I don't know about that, because my XWayland is pretty full-fledged on my system.
            I can run both X.Org and Wayland on my system. It would be nice to run Wayland with XWayland without being able to run a stand-alone X.Org Server.
            But maybe that is already possible?

But it seems I can remove the xorg, xserver-org-legacy, xserver-xorg, xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xorg-input-*, xserver-xorg-video-* while still keeping the 'xwayland' package on my system. It seems the only package I need is 'xserver-common', libxau6, libxdmcp6, libxfont1, and libxshmfence1.
            This is pretty cool. Maybe I can say good bye to big X.Org Server while still keeping around a little Xwayland.

Comment

Pity XWayand is missing important stuff like XRandR write support though, needed for Color Calibration and Profiling, and Root atom support for registering ICC Color profiles. Summary: it's not ready for prime time for wide gamut displays or anyone doing Color critical work.

Comment

I don't know about that, because my XWayland is pretty full-fledged on my system.
                I can run both X.Org and Wayland on my system. It would be nice to run Wayland with XWayland without being able to run a stand-alone X.Org Server.
                But maybe that is already possible?
                Yeah, it is. You aren't running Xorg server if you have chosen Wayland in the login. XWayland is what is used instead, it is a small xorg server so it still needs some xorg libraries to work but it does not need a whole xorg server with cruft and all. see here https://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html

In your distro Xorg is installed to be used as a fallback, that is if you can't use GNOME's Wayland compositor you can use GNOME on Xorg and it will still allow you to use your PC.
                But if you are running GNOME with a wayland compositor, then Xorg is not in use, if an application needs x11, XWayland is the server that does the job.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 29 March 2017, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Yeah, it is. You aren't running Xorg server if you have chosen Wayland in the login. XWayland is what is used instead, it is a small xorg server so it still needs some xorg libraries to work but it does not need a whole xorg server with cruft and all. see here https://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html

In your distro Xorg is installed to be used as a fallback, that is if you can't use GNOME's Wayland compositor you can use GNOME on Xorg and it will still allow you to use your PC.
                  But if you are running GNOME with a wayland compositor, then Xorg is not in use, if an application needs x11, XWayland is the server that does the job.
                  Oh, that is pretty cool.
                  I thought XWayland was a module in X.Org Server that required the full X.Org server in order to work.

Comment

Working...
                  X