No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.04 Still Hasn't Landed X.Org Server 1.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you ppl have tearing? with unity 7? your configs are wrong for some reason, i install x 1.19 from ppa and everything looks fine in my laptop, the problem is glamor(a piece of garbage yet) but i simply change to sna and everything works like it should

Comment

Tearing problem is almost exclusive to proprietary drivers to my knowledge. Till this date, nvidia (and catalyst untill it was discountinued) had those problems, furthermore, try to hook >60Hz display with nvidia blob or fglrx (not used anymore tho, but as an example) and see if Chromium and Ch-based browsers would follow refresh rate - hint: they will not, they will be locked at 60FPS, and you will have terrible experience.

With so much 120Hz+ displays on the market now, you would expect that basic funcionality to work, while on nouveau, radeon (did not tested intel) it works like a charm.

Comment

xorg developers are completely incompetents.

Comment

KDE will operate with wayland in the next distros release?!

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
            Tearing problem is almost exclusive to proprietary drivers to my knowledge. Till this date, nvidia (and catalyst untill it was discountinued) had those problems, furthermore, try to hook >60Hz display with nvidia blob or fglrx (not used anymore tho, but as an example) and see if Chromium and Ch-based browsers would follow refresh rate - hint: they will not, they will be locked at 60FPS, and you will have terrible experience.

With so much 120Hz+ displays on the market now, you would expect that basic funcionality to work, while on nouveau, radeon (did not tested intel) it works like a charm.
            and you don't know nothing about tearing, if you have a 120hz monitor you need 120 fps with vsync

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

and you don't know nothing about tearing, if you have a 120hz monitor you need 120 fps with vsync
              If you use 120Hz display with OSS drivers on nvidia and radeon, you can foce vblank off, and still have 120FPS browsing experience with Chrome/Chromium-based browsers. With proprietary, you do not have that, it's locked at 60FPS and you get stutters, because frames get terribly mistimed on display, presented twice or more.

Comment

Stability said - if it has big known bugs shouldn't be included

Comment

Not Ubuntu related but our Smart TV (which is only 1 year old btw!) has tearing too every once in a while, esp. with 1080p/4K videos from YouTube or Netflix (built-in apps). It's a Samsung Smart TV and it has done this since the beginning. It's running on Tizen AFAIK which is based on Linux. So tearing is still a thing with some hardware, but most hardware (including my laptop) is fine. (maybe it has something to with size? my laptop is 13.3" while our Smart TV has 40" or so)

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    KDE will operate with wayland in the next distros release?!
                    If Ubuntu shipps the latest Qt relase - no - because wayland is broken for Qt5.8

Comment

I had tearing in 17.04 but solved it by creating a new config file and using intel and nouveau instead of defaults (modesetting?). My laptop has Intel HD 3000 and NVIDIA GT540M.

Comment

Working...
                      X