X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faph
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    It's interesting to hear that they are still hiring additional open-source graphics driver developers as well. Interesting that they are interested in shader compiler performance when the ...
    That's interesting (and cool)!

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Good news, though Keith is switching jobs faster than me changing my underwear.

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Valve Hires X11 Veteran Keith Packard To Work On The Linux Display Stack

Valve's latest high-profile hire is adding Keith Packard to their roster of Linux graphics driver developers...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Keith-Packard
    So I'm guessing that The Machine went the way of Taligent, Copland and Pink.

(For anyone under 30: that's not the name of a law firm.)

Leave a comment:

• swoorup
    replied
    Valve the innovating company, that benefits everyone

Leave a comment:

• FishPls
    replied
    Good stuff. Valve is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• bregma
    replied
    Nice catch, Valve.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Valve is really smart improving Linux performance for games.
    There are and will be many more people looking for an alternative for their Windows 8 Metro crap and Windows 10 spyware crap when they get tired of things shoved down their throat by Microsoft.
    It's really nice to see that Linux will be a viable alternative for me too when I will be finally leaving Windows 7.
    Good job Valve!
    And thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• willmore
    replied
    I'm glad to see Keith out of HP and back to working on something useful. He was too good of a person to waste there.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    I was thinking specifically of the shader cache that was added two weeks ago. Besides that, are there really any significant improvements that can be made.
    Well yes, shader cache is only a workaround (a nice one but still).
    As for improvements you already saw with Marek threading the shader compilation and I'm sure we'll see more in the future.
    I believe Vadim's backend for r600g is still faster at compiling shaders than radeonsi's one. If so you have a bench of what to attain for now.

Leave a comment:

• bachchain
    replied
    I was thinking specifically of the shader cache that was added two weeks ago. Besides that, are there really any significant improvements that can be made.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X