No announcement yet.

Valve Hires X11 Veteran Keith Packard To Work On The Linux Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad to see Keith out of HP and back to working on something useful. He was too good of a person to waste there.

Comment

Valve is really smart improving Linux performance for games.
      There are and will be many more people looking for an alternative for their Windows 8 Metro crap and Windows 10 spyware crap when they get tired of things shoved down their throat by Microsoft.
      It's really nice to see that Linux will be a viable alternative for me too when I will be finally leaving Windows 7.
      Good job Valve!
      And thank you very much!

Comment

Nice catch, Valve.

Comment

Good stuff. Valve is awesome.

Comment

Valve the innovating company, that benefits everyone

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Valve Hires X11 Veteran Keith Packard To Work On The Linux Display Stack

Valve's latest high-profile hire is adding Keith Packard to their roster of Linux graphics driver developers...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Keith-Packard
              So I'm guessing that The Machine went the way of Taligent, Copland and Pink.

(For anyone under 30: that's not the name of a law firm.)

Comment

Good news, though Keith is switching jobs faster than me changing my underwear.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  It's interesting to hear that they are still hiring additional open-source graphics driver developers as well. Interesting that they are interested in shader compiler performance when the ...
                  That's interesting (and cool)!

Comment

Ah, good luck at Valve Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                      Well yes, shader cache is only a workaround (a nice one but still).
                      The shader cache isn't "only a workaround". If you want fast loading times there is no way around shader cache. Also Valve wants to ship pre-compiled shaders in the future (tarceri mentioned it the other day on #radeon). So the shader cache is here to stay and that's good!

Comment

Working...
                      X