No announcement yet.

Freedreno's MSM Updates For Linux 4.11, Code Aurora Prepping More Contributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno's MSM Updates For Linux 4.11, Code Aurora Prepping More Contributions

Phoronix: Freedreno's MSM Updates For Linux 4.11, Code Aurora Prepping More Contributions

Freedreno founder Rob Clark has sent in the MSM DRM driver changes to DRM-Next for Linux 4.11. Separately, Qualcomm's Code Aurora is prepping more contributions for this open-source Qualcomm Adreno driver for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Umm... Michael, is this a typo, or is it intended?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    AMGPU

Comment

Can Qualcomm open stuff needed for using Nexus 5 with upstream kernel?

Comment

All the freedreno news got me browsing around and end up on a Inforce 6640 product page (that subsequently went 404). It had a Snapdragon 820 with all the usual SBC ports, a bunch of MIPI connections, and a Atheros 8151 PCI Express GigE, and a price of $240. Should've printed it out as a PDF for maximum leak.

I do hope they bring it out, much more reasonable price than the other SBCs with a 820.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Umm... Michael, is this a typo, or is it intended?

That's intended, it's referencing the AMDGPU DRM driver's kernel scheduler.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by maligor View Post
            All the freedreno news got me browsing around and end up on a Inforce 6640 product page (that subsequently went 404). It had a Snapdragon 820 with all the usual SBC ports, a bunch of MIPI connections, and a Atheros 8151 PCI Express GigE, and a price of $240. Should've printed it out as a PDF for maximum leak.

I do hope they bring it out, much more reasonable price than the other SBCs with a 820.
            IFC seemed an ok option for a while, mainly due to price. Problem though, is I've had some serious problems with some of their hardware (for instance, certain revisions of the IFC 6410 had some voltage regulators that were inadequate, overheated, and caused crashing). I never was able to get the desired stability of of their hardware. They are also seriously cagey with the code and force you into NDA's, which frankly, isn't acceptable.

This, however, looks VERY much more interesting;
            https://www.arrow.com/en/products/dr...elopment-tools
            https://github.com/96boards/document...ted-With-Linux
            (note that the page was last edited yesterday, so this isn't one of those dreams that has fallen apart... at least not yet.)

Also note that its an EXTENDED board, with a PCIe slot!
            Also, 3 camera inputs, two USB3-A sockets...
            Last edited by droidhacker; 07 February 2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

robclark as Qualcomm is pushing code to freedreno, doesn't it qualify as official Adreno driver? Or it will be official only when they endorse it?
              Last edited by andrei_me; 07 February 2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

IFC seemed an ok option for a while, mainly due to price. Problem though, is I've had some serious problems with some of their hardware (for instance, certain revisions of the IFC 6410 had some voltage regulators that were inadequate, overheated, and caused crashing). I never was able to get the desired stability of of their hardware. They are also seriously cagey with the code and force you into NDA's, which frankly, isn't acceptable.

This, however, looks VERY much more interesting;
                https://www.arrow.com/en/products/dr...elopment-tools
                https://github.com/96boards/document...ted-With-Linux
                (note that the page was last edited yesterday, so this isn't one of those dreams that has fallen apart... at least not yet.)

Also note that its an EXTENDED board, with a PCIe slot!
                Also, 3 camera inputs, two USB3-A sockets...
                Rather unfortunate that the Inforce boards are flaky.

I've seen the Dragonboard 820c also, and assuming it falls into the below $300 when it's available, it might be tempting.

My biggest issue with it is arrow, I'm rather annoyed at them. A few years back I noticed on their online catalog a "discounted" AMCC 460SX Dev board for the princely sum of 0.24 US cents plus shipping. So I put an order on one and they do ship it, but they charged an extra 50$+ (for shipping) above the already paid price without asking. Can't really remember how much it was exactly. Pretty much stuck to using Mouser, Digikey and RSDelivers after that.

The board itself is quite interesting, it's a PowerPC 460 (unfortunately without an FPU) - full ATX board with 3x PCI-e 4x slots and ddr memory slots. It also came with a ATX power supply - which is probably why the express shipping was a tad expensive.

And don't get me wrong, it was still really cheap for a full atx dev board.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  robclark as Qualcomm is pushing code to freedreno, doesn't it qualify as official Adreno driver? Or it will be official only when they endorse it?
                  not sure what counts as "official" but qcom has been using the upstream driver for a while (not on any android devices, I don't think, but industrial/catalogue market where clients want upstream linux support)

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

I also have an Ifc6410, mainly bought because it was the only ARM SBC with an open driver at its time. Waste of money ...

The code release policy is really embarrasing. By itself, the board is well capable of either booting from the onboard NAND or an SD card. The second option would allow to create disk images to be copied to an SD card, but due to their redistribution policy of the bootloader blobs (or lack thereof), this is not possible.

Now this may be due to Qualcomms release policy, which seems to be a little bit better with the 96boards listed Snapdragon 410e based boards, but still I could not find any redistributable bootloaders for these boards. I don't require any source code (still dreaming), but a clear redistribution license.

Seems strange, but any Allwinner or Rockchip based board is much nicer in this respect. You don't need any complicated vendor-only bootloader chain, but can stick u-boot on the SD/eMMC/SPI ROM and are done with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X