Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heterogeneous Memory Management Aims For Linux 4.11

Phoronix: Heterogeneous Memory Management Aims For Linux 4.11

Jerome Glisse published his sixteenth version of the patches for implementing Heterogeneous Memory Management within the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"I also discussed the features with other company and I am confident it can be use on other, yet, unrelease hardware."
    So this could be usable with http://www.hsafoundation.com/ compatible hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      So this could be usable with http://www.hsafoundation.com/ compatible hardware?
      Does HSA hardware even need this?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        From what I remember, one of the HSA goals is a unified memory space. So I'd say yes.

Comment

Unless Torvalds chooses to make a pro-gaming decision then I dont see a reason to be optimistic about this joining the kernel. Fortunately perhaps other kernel compilers will offer the HMM kernel because GAMERS REALLY F*CKING WANT THIS so assuming the HMM kernel becomes available by other compilers we still get the code.
          Last edited by AdamOne; 12 January 2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            The new vega stuff has that on die cache stuff for virtually unlimited memory space - maybe that can use this too

Comment

> but NVIDIA is working to contribute an open-source Nouveau driver implementation for HMM

Wait what! Since when is Nvidia help Nouveau?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
                Unless Torvalds chooses to make a pro-gaming decision then I dont see a reason to be optimistic about this joining the kernel. Fortunately perhaps other kernel compilers will offer the HMM kernel because GAMERS REALLY F*CKING WANT THIS so assuming the HMM kernel becomes available by other compilers we still get the code.
                GPUs are used for more than gaming. I'm pretty sure computation and CG rendering can benefit from this.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
                  Torvalds will take it once drivers use it, what's wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

GPUs are used for more than gaming. I'm pretty sure computation and CG rendering can benefit from this.
                    And not just that. Even simple things like web browsers use the GPU. In fact, I've even completely disabled GPU rendering in Vivaldi browser and it made the browser faster. So everyone will benefit from these patches, not only gamers or compilers, but also regular users who use a web browser.

Comment

Working...
                    X