Heterogeneous Memory Management Aims For Linux 4.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    From what I remember, one of the HSA goals is a unified memory space. So I'd say yes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H...phics_card.svg
    I meant that HSA has alreary their own way to do this. NVIDIA (and Intel) are not in HSA so they need something different to do the same stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I meant that HSA has alreary their own way to do this. NVIDIA (and Intel) are not in HSA so they need something different to do the same stuff.
      This is my understanding only :
      HSA provides an abstraction for memory access, the underlying implementation could use HMM. No?

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        This is my understanding only :
        HSA provides an abstraction for memory access, the underlying implementation could use HMM. No?
        Afaik, HSA does that by using hardware features (so you have HSA-compliant hardware and non-HSA-compliant hardware), and has its API and a full toolchain already.

So I think HMM is a NVIDIA-only thing (Intel has its own special chips derived by Xeon Phi that can now run a whole system on their own).

Comment

HMM can be useful for dGPUs which are generally not HSA-compliant.
          Test signature

Comment

Hopefully, this release will be rid of slipups.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
              GAMERS REALLY F*CKING WANT THIS
              are gamers on drugs?

Comment

Originally posted by NihilMomentum View Post
                Wait what! Since when is Nvidia help Nouveau?
                since when they have no other choice. this code will not be accepted without opensource users

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  In fact, I've even completely disabled GPU rendering in Vivaldi browser and it made the browser faster. So everyone will benefit from these patches, not only gamers or compilers, but also regular users who use a web browser.
                  your second statemend does not follow from first

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    HMM can be useful for dGPUs which are generally not HSA-compliant.
                    But what about AMD APUs?

According to Wikipedia HMM for current gen APUs is still not available in the (upstream) kernel...

Comment

Guessing you mean HSA rather than HMM ? KFD support for Carrizo & Kaveri *is* upstream. We haven't had a chance to test on Bristol Ridge so no upstream updates for that yet, but Bristol & Carrizo program very similarly.

I tried to fix the page but apparently someone who once had the same IP address as me was a bad dog so the IP address is locked out for now

The biggest problem we have had with Carrizo is that relatively few OEMs included the CRAT ACPI table which describes the hardware to amdkfd, so we're probably going to have to go back and fake up the information once we get some time with Bristol Ridge OEM systems.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X