Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel vs. Modesetting X.Org DDX Performance Impact

Phoronix: Intel vs. Modesetting X.Org DDX Performance Impact

With word of Fedora switching away from using the Intel X.Org driver in favor of the generic xf86-video-modesetting driver, following in the steps laid by Debian/Ubuntu, there is fresh discussions over features and any performance impact of xf86-video-modesetting vs. xf86-video-intel DDX drivers. As such, here are some fresh 2D and 3D benchmarks.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24005

Modesetting is still much, much slower in several areas. When you hit one of them, you notice the difference (especially on slow GPUs like Intel's). Hope it gets some attention.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

By the way, please test on xorg-server 1.19. It's useless to test an old version when everybody will get 1.19 soon.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

thanks for refreshing the fact that SNA IS FASTER
        but also that its less important now than before

Comment

Michael :

Why did you use an old xorg-server version and an old version of xf86-video-intel?

It would have been a lot more interesting if you would have used the latest xorg-server version and the latest git snapshot of xf86-video-intel.
          Last edited by pq1930562; 01-11-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I retested some of that with current X, mesa, xf86-video-intel (on a current processor, too - Skylake.) These are all straight out of git.

Modesetting is about on par for gtkperf (as I posted yesterday), and for a couple of the worst offenders in Michael's list, intel is much faster still:

intel: 3000000 reps @ 0.0024 msec (422000.0/sec): Fill 300x300 aa trapezoid
            modesetting: 20000 reps @ 0.3441 msec ( 2910.0/sec): Fill 300x300 aa trapezoid

And in others, modesetting is greatly improved:

intel: 40000000 reps @ 0.0001 msec (7310000.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Charter 10)
            modesetting: 56000000 reps @ 0.0001 msec (10200000.0/sec): Char in 80-char aa line (Charter 10)

My seat-of-pants impression is that I cannot tell any difference, except that modesetting is more stable.
            Last edited by Sloth; 01-11-2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post
              Michael :

Why did you use an old xorg-server version and an old version of xf86-video-intel?

It would have been a lot more interesting if you would have used the latest xorg-server version and the latest git snapshot of xf86-video-intel.
              I was using Intel Git, Padoka PPA packages snapshot. I used the current xorg-server as found in Ubuntu. When 1.19 lands or next time I fire up a Fedora system with 1.19, I can deliver more benchmarks.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael :

You wrote:

Originally posted by Michael
                The generic mode-setting DDX driver has improved a lot over 2016 with DRI3 support
                How did you enable DRI3 on xf86-video-modesetting? Xorg.0.log only mentions DRI2 here, see:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98875

Does Xorg.0.log say DRI3 on your machine?

Comment

Debian and Fedora disable this for newer not for old.

Why Ubuntu with old X that does not tell nothing, just test Debian or Fedora

Comment

Ok I've got a beginner question here.
                    I thought that intel's graphics drivers/modules were actually included in the kernel source. So when I install something like xserver-xorg-video-intel, what am I actually installing? are these closed source blobs or something? I didn't think that intel graphics needed anything to be installed. Same with nouveau? What am I missing?
                    Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X