Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server Development Continues Trending Quite Low

Phoronix: X.Org Server Development Continues Trending Quite Low

Development of the X.Org Server by commits and new code barely passed the low amounts achieved in 2015, which in turn is significantly lower -- halved or more -- than just a few years prior...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find the number of commits in 2008 fascinating. That was a huge economic depression and i wonder if it had something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
      I find the number of commits in 2008 fascinating. That was a huge economic depression and i wonder if it had something to do with it.
      2008 had a lot of commits and trimmed up the size of the server a lot. This wasn't due to any recession but lots of restructuring at that time about moving more code out of the xserver, lots of DRI work, and other major projects happening around those periods.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

They are reaching the limit to what can be accomplished through Xorg. Modern compositors give a more smooth experience in today's desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

2008 had a lot of commits and trimmed up the size of the server a lot. This wasn't due to any recession but lots of restructuring at that time about moving more code out of the xserver, lots of DRI work, and other major projects happening around those periods.
          Could be but dont you think its possible the recession freed up some time for some people? Especially the IT world was doing badly in 2008 if i recall correctly. Just a brain fart.

Comment

Could be but dont you think its possible the recession freed up some time for some people? Especially the IT world was doing badly in 2008 if i recall correctly. Just a brain fart.
            Unless my memory is failing me, no. Most of the major work in 2007~2010 era on the big changes to the X.org Server were done by the same mostly Intel and RedHat employees that had been around since at least 2005 and earlier. Can't really think of any major new contributors around that time nor can I think of any prominent xorg developers who lost their jobs during that time due to the recession. The only one that comes to mind joining X.org around that time was Peter Hutterer who was a university student and contributing beginning at that point.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Although all people are free to participate on their free time, most work on larger OSS projects is done by employees that are paid for it. So, I don't think that's the case here.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't say that unexpected. X is mostly in maintenance mode now. It's as mature as it gets, new stuff is going into Wayland.
                It's served its purpose, from now the slow journey towards legacy begins.

Comment

Fact is, that is about 10% more than in 2015. which i see as an improvment

But let say maybe statistic is Bullshittm As people should care about usability and quality there and not numbers... it is easy to make up new development - just break something
                  Last edited by dungeon; 27 December 2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Wait a sec, you seriously think people laid off would end up in OSS instead of working their asses off doing crappy low-pay jobs just to survive?

Must be nice that basement of yours.

Comment

Working...
                    X