Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRMFS Pseudo File-System Proposed

Phoronix: DRMFS Pseudo File-System Proposed

Intel developers are proposing the introduction of a new pseudo file-system intended as a better fit for Direct Rendering Manager drivers rather than the mix of sysfs/debugfs usage currently used...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...RM-File-System

And it was quickly shot down by another more prominent Intel developer and a reminder that the old interfaces will still need to be maintained

Comment

Oh yey one more sysfs. Its cool until you start parsing process information as text. Then it gets real ugly. That is one thing i like about win32 - it has an actual api for getting stuff out of OS.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
        Oh yey one more sysfs. Its cool until you start parsing process information as text. Then it gets real ugly. That is one thing i like about win32 - it has an actual api for getting stuff out of OS.
        But, conversely, there's no stable kernel ABI, so truly static binaries aren't feasible, and Microsoft doesn't just grant a blanket "everyone can do it" license to redistribute the runtime DLLs outside of their redist bundles.

What we really need is Linux's ABI stability guarantees with a better serialization-deserialization story for things not important enough to merit being syscalls.

Comment

i hope this gets trashed on really hard. What is wrong with sysfs

Comment

The nice thing about the text info is that I can use any tool that can handle text to look at info from sysfs.

For example, our local community centre was given a bunch of old PCs. All came with Windows, of course. I try to find out how many CPU cores a machine has--OK, Windows shows four. But are they four real cores, or just hyperthreaded? Can’t say. But boot into Linux (which we put on after wiping Windows anyway), and I can see from looking at the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpun/topology/{thread,thread_siblings} files that the machine has only two real cores, each with two threads.

Why is it so hard to get this info out of Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

The nice thing about the text info is that I can use any tool that can handle text to look at info from sysfs.

For example, our local community centre was given a bunch of old PCs. All came with Windows, of course. I try to find out how many CPU cores a machine has--OK, Windows shows four. But are they four real cores, or just hyperthreaded? Can’t say. But boot into Linux (which we put on after wiping Windows anyway), and I can see from looking at the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpun/topology/{thread,thread_siblings} files that the machine has only two real cores, each with two threads.

Why is it so hard to get this info out of Windows?
              That is a fair point, however text being ONLY way to get that info is even more idiotic than c api being the only way. After all that info is more useful in something that is not a shellscript.

Comment

... text being ONLY way to get that info is even more idiotic than c api being the only way.
                You want a C API? Here, have one.

Comment

Working...
                X