X.Org To Begin Accepting Donations Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hussam View Post
    Frankly, coming from the old XFree days, I am very satisfied with the current status of xorg-server. Sure Wayland is good but I would like to have the option to stay on xorg-server for at least another five years or so. Everyone has their use cases and needs.
    It won't hurt anyone to keep options open, nor does it affect application performance.
    Why don't they affect performance? Even input stuff can make the system unresponsible!

But xorg has been extremelly ridicule conservative over the last... 30 years? Instead fixing things, they made tricks to make XFree/Xorg to work. It's like an old armchair full of patches over and over.

There's a big resistance to change in certain aspects of *NIX, even in detriment of possibilities. Is good to wait more and more years instead putting most of those resources to make a more flexible and evolved approach that gets improved instead applying ugly tricks? How much will be needed to transition to Wayland and friends? Ten years? Damn!

Are you talking about SPI having bad things? Why do you do rumorology instead providing clear facts to your words?
    Controversy Arises Over SPI Project, Fighting With Elementary OS

Comment

I know bashing Xorg is fashionable but there is a huge advantage of X over Wayland, which is the support for thin clients out of the box with XDMCP.
      The basis of the X11 protocol is that it is network-agnostic works over the wire.
      GLX is the wrapping of GL commands into X11 protocol so it also works through the network but there is no "EGLW" (EGL over Wayland protocol over the wire).

How far has this proceeded? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...k-Transparency
      I haven't read anything newer about it and certainly haven't seen anything about a login protocol in Wayland, which would be the equivalent of XDMCP in X.
      Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Why don't they affect performance? Even input stuff can make the system unresponsible!

But xorg has been extremelly ridicule conservative over the last... 30 years? Instead fixing things, they made tricks to make XFree/Xorg to work. It's like an old armchair full of patches over and over.

There's a big resistance to change in certain aspects of *NIX, even in detriment of possibilities. Is good to wait more and more years instead putting most of those resources to make a more flexible and evolved approach that gets improved instead applying ugly tricks? How much will be needed to transition to Wayland and friends? Ten years? Damn!

Are you talking about SPI having bad things? Why do you do rumorology instead providing clear facts to your words?
        Controversy Arises Over SPI Project, Fighting With Elementary OS
        - By affecting performance, I meant allowing multiple code paths, like in GTK+. It doesn't affect performance on X11 or Wayland that it supports both.
        - I have no issue with change. But at the current situation, it is difficult. There is the NVIDIA proprietary driver issue. Gnome/KDE etc... only support how the open source drivers use Wayland. And even when/if it is possible to use NVIDIA proprietary driver in a Gnome/KDE session, there will still be an issue. Xwayland itself can only run legacy applications using Mesa. This means running gtk2 applications under NVIDIA using xwayland may be an issue. The whole thing needs more time in my opinion. Why rush it?
        - I wasn't talking about SPI having bad things. My comment was just a reaction to people using such articles to go on about how xorg-server is obsolete even though the article itself is about the X.org foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
          I know bashing Xorg is fashionable but there is a huge advantage of X over Wayland, which is the support for thin clients out of the box with XDMCP.
          The basis of the X11 protocol is that it is network-agnostic works over the wire.
          GLX is the wrapping of GL commands into X11 protocol so it also works through the network but there is no "EGLW" (EGL over Wayland protocol over the wire).

How far has this proceeded? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...k-Transparency
          I haven't read anything newer about it and certainly haven't seen anything about a login protocol in Wayland, which would be the equivalent of XDMCP in X.
          Correct me if I'm wrong please.
          First of all, X hasn't been truly network transparent in ages.
          Secondly, XDMCP is inherently insecure.

Lastly, network capabilities have no reason to be inside a display protocol specification in the first place. There are things like RDP or VNC for that.

Comment

Working...
          X