Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Preps For Landing The On-Disk Shader Cache

Phoronix: Mesa Preps For Landing The On-Disk Shader Cache

Just a few days ago was the fifth version of the proposed Mesa on-disk shader cache and it's looking like it may finally be ready for merging with some of the prep infrastructure work having landed today in mainline Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope this helps with Tomb Raider. Things are getting more intense further into the game and the stutters, though brief, can happen at the worst times. This is on a RX 480 though so here's hoping it gets ported to Radeon. I have a feeling the multithreaded shader stuff will help more though. Does a game like Tomb Raider keep reusing the same shaders?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
      I really hope this helps with Tomb Raider. Things are getting more intense further into the game and the stutters, though brief, can happen at the worst times. This is on a RX 480 though so here's hoping it gets ported to Radeon. I have a feeling the multithreaded shader stuff will help more though. Does a game like Tomb Raider keep reusing the same shaders?
      I also feel that this is really needed for Radeon cards, even though Marek has said that he doesn't feel it is very important, and that other things are more prioritized. I guess he should know what gives most bang-for-the-buck, but if it is simple to implement this once that the general Mesa stuff is in, I really think they should do it. Launching games quicker (after the first time) is also a nice feature.

Comment

Hopefully this helps with rocket league too. Last time I tried it, the cars didn't appear until after 40 secs, and the game was pretty laggy.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          Hopefully this helps with rocket league too. Last time I tried it, the cars didn't appear until after 40 secs, and the game was pretty laggy.
          It's much worse in Rocket League than Tomb Raider for what is a much graphically simpler game. While I think this might help, I suspect the game is doing something silly to make it so bad.

Comment

Can anyone answer a couple of questions related to this?
            1. Can this introduce issues, similar to web browser cache? Will it be easy to remove this cache?
            2. Will it have positive effect on nvidia-binary users? Any effect for that matter? Does nvidia have similar cache implemented?

Comment

Blobs has this disk cache, nvidia driver has disk cache for abour 5 years and AMD drivers Catalyst-amdgpu-pro for about 2 years.

Cache is invalidated on every driver upgrade, that is why i guess for everyday all git opensource users is not high priority

Comment

There is no issue with it, it is enabled by default... but most benefit from it will have stable mesa users - aka people who does not change drivers non stop

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

It's much worse in Rocket League than Tomb Raider for what is a much graphically simpler game. While I think this might help, I suspect the game is doing something silly to make it so bad.
                  Try to 'preload' all textures into RAM prior to playing game.(i cant tell how, not at home)
                  but something like: find files pipe to dd which outputs to dev null.

this trick did help with tecture preloading a few times.
                  issue you describe can also be explained as texture preloading(providing you are in this specific area for first time and this specific enemy never showed up)
                  Ignore me if same problems happened twice in same place during same computer reboot cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    There is no issue with it, it is enabled by default... but most benefit from it will have stable mesa users - aka people who does not change drivers non stop
                    Even those upgrading often should see benefits, for example skipping shader compiles between levels etc. Also we could make it so we only invalidate if we really need to i.e if the cached objects are really incompatible.

Comment

Working...
                    X