Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment EFL Adds Atomic Modesetting, Nuclear Page-Flipping

Phoronix: Enlightenment EFL Adds Atomic Modesetting, Nuclear Page-Flipping

The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL) now has support for atomic mode-setting and nuclear page-flipping!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this stuff.. it works on both X11 and Wayland?

Comment

Now all they need is a theme refresh to get people to start using their software because it is easy on resources and pretty snappy or at least make it easier to retheme their environment.

Comment

Originally posted by dsreyes1014 View Post
        Now all they need is a theme refresh to get people to start using their software because it is easy on resources and pretty snappy or at least make it easier to retheme their environment.
        The E17 default theme is actually pretty awesome, I hated all the alternative themes (like the ones available in bodhi). Might be able to afford a better default wallpaper though, come on! commission some artist to do better! It'll only cost like a 100$ or somethin.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          So this stuff.. it works on both X11 and Wayland?
          well efl and e work on both -yes. but atomic page flip is for the wayland compositor mode.

Comment

Might be able to afford a better default wallpaper though, come on! commission some artist to do better! It'll only cost like a 100$ or somethin.
            what would you like? a photo? like of clouds, a sunset, mountains, beach, nature (flowers, grasses, plants...). i have a massive library and i can easily clean some up to professional levels. the default wallpaper is there as its pretty memory efficient as it hides scaling blur by using the patterned overlay, but other wallpapers are offered. can add a lot more. or do you want something geometric and clean? like http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-57...7.37019225.png ? (been working on a "flat theme - just need to sink more time into it).

everyone has different tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post

well efl and e work on both -yes. but atomic page flip is for the wayland compositor mode.
              Thanks.

what would you like? a photo? like of clouds, a sunset, mountains, beach, nature (flowers, grasses, plants...). i have a massive library and i can easily clean some up to professional levels. the default wallpaper is there as its pretty memory efficient as it hides scaling blur by using the patterned overlay, but other wallpapers are offered. can add a lot more. or do you want something geometric and clean? like http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-57...7.37019225.png ? (been working on a "flat theme - just need to sink more time into it).

everyone has different tastes.
              I did specifically say artist, not photographer. I was merely saying this because someone disliked the E17 theme apparently and my only possible suggestion for how to improve it (because I think it's pretty perfect as is tbh) was the wallpaper. It's pretty generic, so it wouldn't hurt to make a similar but less generic wallpaper with like maybe the EFL logo in there somewhere or somethin. As for me I simply don't use it; I normally use a cropped and upscaled version of this as my wall http://elsevilla.deviantart.com/art/...ning-199563985

Cuz well, I liek artz man. In fact I like to have a separate wallpaper for every one of my 6 virtual desktops.

Comment

I did specifically say artist, not photographer. I was merely saying this because someone disliked the E17 theme apparently and my only possible suggestion for how to improve it (because I think it's pretty perfect as is tbh) was the wallpaper. It's pretty generic, so it wouldn't hurt to make a similar but less generic wallpaper with like maybe the EFL logo in there somewhere or somethin. As for me I simply don't use it; I normally use a cropped and upscaled version of this as my wall http://elsevilla.deviantart.com/art/...ning-199563985

Cuz well, I liek artz man. In fact I like to have a separate wallpaper for every one of my 6 virtual desktops.
                The vast majority of wallpapers that ship with OS's and DE's are actually photos, or touched up ones. Doing the touching up is the art part, but ok - you want art. Your suggestion there on devinatart would be a HORRIBLE wallpaper. It's exceedingly busy, doesn't follow any kind of color scheme, is bad for contrast or staying out of the way. It may be your TASTE but it's a poor default. Yes the default wallpaper is generic but that's because it offends as few people as possible and keeps out of the way. That's why so many wallpapers are photos of scenery where it really is hard to "piss someone off". Some default wallpapers are abstract art with just colors and blurs and maybe some large shapes so they are not too busy. You of course can set your own wallpaper all you like, and I do change mine regularly, BUT ... having anything even remotely like you suggest be it fantasy artwork, anime, or anything that isn't rather bland and neutral just invites people to get offended and complain. We already are pushing the envelope by being dark by default rather than light. that already invites complaints of "does not look professional" because everything thinks light == professional. We're dark out of the box specifically so screenshots look different and you know it's not another generic desktop. Yes - wallpaper thats unique and an artwork like you say would do that too BUT it'd be far too much. I can do the artwork myself, but I choose to stick with more neutral subjects/content because of the above.

Comment

The vast majority of wallpapers that ship with OS's and DE's are actually photos, or touched up ones. Doing the touching up is the art part, but ok - you want art. Your suggestion there on devinatart would be a HORRIBLE wallpaper. It's exceedingly busy, doesn't follow any kind of color scheme, is bad for contrast or staying out of the way. It may be your TASTE but it's a poor default. Yes the default wallpaper is generic but that's because it offends as few people as possible and keeps out of the way. That's why so many wallpapers are photos of scenery where it really is hard to "piss someone off". Some default wallpapers are abstract art with just colors and blurs and maybe some large shapes so they are not too busy. You of course can set your own wallpaper all you like, and I do change mine regularly, BUT ... having anything even remotely like you suggest be it fantasy artwork, anime, or anything that isn't rather bland and neutral just invites people to get offended and complain. We already are pushing the envelope by being dark by default rather than light. that already invites complaints of "does not look professional" because everything thinks light == professional. We're dark out of the box specifically so screenshots look different and you know it's not another generic desktop. Yes - wallpaper thats unique and an artwork like you say would do that too BUT it'd be far too much. I can do the artwork myself, but I choose to stick with more neutral subjects/content because of the above.
                  I was not suggesting it, I was saying that's what I use, there's a major difference between two such statements, and seems you lost your head over that misunderstanding...

Comment

I was not suggesting it, I was saying that's what I use, there's a major difference between two such statements, and seems you lost your head over that misunderstanding...
                    Well that image was the best example of what you may be thinking is "good". Putting logos into wallpapers is just gratuitous IMHO and tasteless. Simple clutter-free scenery photos work well. Low-contrast is good. predominantly 1 or 2 colors and shades is good.

Comment

Working...
                    X