XDC2016 Will Be One Of The Largest X.Org Conferences In A Long Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep... looks like it should be a good conference, and I had my finger over the "purchase" button for airline tickets, but we have a number of new chips coming back in the next couple of months so for most of us it's a choice between doing new ASIC bringup on Linux in parallel with Windows for the first time ever at ATI/AMD or going to XDC. Heck of a choice.
    you made the right choice ; happy fury x owner here, next is vega

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      I planned to go there, but way too tired to get my ass to Helsinki now :P Abstraction overhead. Infinite layers leaves no cpu cycles for actual work. What do I win?
      Well, if they are good, they should be optimised out at compile or link time, no?
      That said, that's impossible to do if there is an infinity of them.
      The good news is no one or no team will ever write an infinite amount of code (notice I used the word "write" ).

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

nope, it didn't
        it did for me :P

Comment

The big takeaway from all of this is that X.org is amazing...

...bordering on spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            L_A_G Finland? does it have anything special for GPU development?
            Being the spiritual home of Linux there's plenty of open source stuff going on. On the graphics front there's the old demoscene crew and all the expertise they've built up over the years. Intel's Finnish offices do a lot of graphics driver work and Hybrid Graphics was a forerunner and influential in not only 3D graphics in general (they almost released a graphics card of their own before a vendor they relied on stopped making a part they needed), but specially in mobile 3D graphics before Nvidia bought them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

There's a reason people invented the "sarcasm" smiley:
              Sarcasm or irony doesn't come across very well in text.
              Ooh you're that young, the generation that thinks everything is irony if you use a smiley.
              I actually had an in that sentence but when i changed something in it it got erased but still a smiley isn't the magic that makes it sarcasm/irony.

Comment

Nvidia army want to keep their proprietary blob and hypnothize others to believe their MESA approach is the best.

And they are winning, because binary blobs are everywhere. Maybe Linux will be 90% closed source in 10 years, binary blobs for everything....

AMD, Intel, Nvidia. Who's you want be their slave? There's ARM that is sold by others, of course! But no Open Source drivers most of the time too

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  Ooh you're that young, the generation that thinks everything is irony if you use a smiley.
                  I actually had an in that sentence but when i changed something in it it got erased but still a smiley isn't the magic that makes it sarcasm/irony.

Well, 33 years young

Oh no, not all smileys! But the specific ' ' smiley with winking eye is either sarcasm smiley or "you know what I'm talkin' about" smiley.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    Well, 33 years young

Oh no, not all smileys! But the specific ' ' smiley with winking eye is either sarcasm smiley or "you know what I'm talkin' about" smiley.
                    People still manages to fail to get the message even with smileys, that's why many grown-up people use the "/sarcasm" or "[/sarcasm]" or "#sarcasm" tag, because if the recipient can't read that he will probably not understand the post either.

Comment

Working...
                    X