Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arcan Open-Source Display Server Continues Progressing As Alternative To Wayland, Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcan Open-Source Display Server Continues Progressing As Alternative To Wayland, Mir

Phoronix: Arcan Open-Source Display Server Continues Progressing As Alternative To Wayland, Mir

A few months back I wrote about Arcan: A New Open-Source Display Server Built Atop A Game Engine. Sadly with most niche and ambitious open-source projects along these lines, they tend to disappear over time, but Arcan on the other hand continues moving forward so far...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Weird... it sounds like it's almost more capable than Wayland, even though it's much younger. It's kind of a shame the devs couldn't have just contributed toward Wayland though - seems to me they're skilled developers.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Weird... it sounds like it's almost more capable than Wayland, even though it's much younger. It's kind of a shame the devs couldn't have just contributed toward Wayland though - seems to me they're skilled developers.
      Depending on how you define "contributed toward Wayland", I definitely agree.

I'm perfectly fine with them experimenting with new ways to write a graphics server, but both Arcan and Mir really need to implement the Wayland protocol so existing clients can run on top of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        but both Arcan and Mir really need to implement the Wayland protocol so existing clients can run on top of them.
        Why? Wayland is a toy compared to Arcan...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          It's kind of a shame the devs couldn't have just contributed toward Wayland though - seems to me they're skilled developers.
          No one codes Wayland. Wayland is a protocol. People contribute to compositors, so they would have to contribute to a Wayland compositor, such as Mutter or KDE (insert compositor here), or Wayland's example compositor, obeying the hard rules of how to implement it established by the Wayland protocol.

Contributing to one compositor, doesn't not help Wayland, only that specific groups compositor. The other compositors don't benefit either. Wayland is a much of isolated efforts on one protocol.

Now, back on the article; this compositor might be nice to make custom animated arcade, or kiosk interfaces for one-off jobs. Maybe raspberry pi powered devices, and the such, driving screens for touch interfaces. Just a thought.

Comment

Hah, Great Arcan is one of the countries on Axeoth, the world of Heroes of Might and Magic IV. Haven't heard of Durden, though (I would have called it "Nighthaven").

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

At the end of the day that's all Arcan will be. From what I've seen of LUA it performs like shit, and is especially bad in a multi-threaded situation. Considering it's built on top of a game engine it doesn't exactly scream performant or secure.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Haven't heard of Durden, though
                I can only recall Tyler Durden from Fight Club.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

A toy working sufficiently well such that even google uses it for running android applications on chrome os....

Comment

Originally posted by cevito View Post

A toy working sufficiently well such that even google uses it for running android applications on chrome os....

It seems the forum didn't like the URL link.

Comment

Working...
                    X