Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.19 Proposed For Release Next Month

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.19 Proposed For Release Next Month

It's been since last November that X.Org Server 1.18 was released and while the project previously stuck to a six month release cadence, that didn't happen for xorg-server 1.19. Now, however, out of the blue Keith Packard has put together a proposal for quickly shipping it next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do they insist developing this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
      Because everyone still uses it... even after the switch over to wayland we'll still need Xwayland for any apps that haven't been migrated yet

Comment

Plenty of reasons. A large number of people use Nvidia cards on their desktops. Only the last few generations will work on Wayland. At the current situation, even new cards are stuck on Xorg for years to come. GTK+ 2.0 doesn't support Wayland. So XFCE needs Xorg.
        I managed to try wayland on my nvidia card using weston-eglstreams but since I use Gnome, I am stuck for the next few years on Xorg.

Comment

because x11 is also for other *nix systems that aren't very interested in wayland.

Comment

wayland still doesnt work here.

Comment

because mir and wayland only works in phones and tablets

Comment

I hope this will make it into Debian Stretch.
                From https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch
                • 2016-11-05: Transition freeze (general freeze of transitions)
                • 2017-01-05: "Soft" freeze (no new packages, no re-entry, normal migrations)
                • 2017-02-05: Full freeze

However, I am not entirely sure how the freezing process goes. Which of the three freezing dates would prevent a package like xserver to go into Stretch?

Comment

Good, this new version will be very exciting for many reasons, like threaded input patch and PRIME patches

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                    Which of the three freezing dates would prevent a package like xserver to go into Stretch?
                    I'm guessing it would be a transition. It looks like 1.18 was: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=808735

Comment

Working...
                    X