No announcement yet.

AMDGPU In Linux 4.9 To Bring Virtual Display Support, Improved GPU Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So with no GCN 1.0 / Southern Islands AMDGPU support, can you have any opencl with ubuntu 16.04 and up on these cards at all?

Comment

Originally posted by clintar View Post
      So with no GCN 1.0 / Southern Islands AMDGPU support, can you have any opencl with ubuntu 16.04 and up on these cards at all?
      Well, there is clover, but its definitely not ready for a production environment. It probably never will be. There is an experimental branch of amdgpu containing gcn1.0 support, you can search phoronix to find the relevant articles containing information about it.

Comment

clintar reply stuck in mod queue.

There is clover but it isn't production ready and probably never will be. There is an experimental amdgpu branch with gcn1.0 support, you can search phoronix to find more info.

Comment

arrghhh!! stupid mod queue

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I can download and update firmware for my wireless printer. I would expect the GPU operating system to be able to do the same.
            Sure you can, the million dollar question is for how long it will be supported. Will it be six months after the product was released? One year? What will you do two years down the line, when the hardware is still perfectly capable of performing its function but some bug is uncovered that prevents you from benefiting from some functionality improvement or better support, or if a security vulnerability is discovered?

Comment

In general we keep our microcode very low level and don't particularly want to change that.

The one exception is the "HW Scheduler" in the MEC block, but in that case we maintain a separate non-HWS path in the drivers so we can perform similar functions in driver code.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                In my opinion, it would be better to move some of the code to GPU's "firmware" so that the Linux kernel (Windows, Mac kernel) does not need to deal with too many low-level details.
                what makes you think dealing with those details in firmware would be easier? someone still has to write it, and i doubt moving engineer from kernel to firmware will increase his productivity

Comment

That would make his life easier with his new opengl implementation https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...st/126538.html

Comment

I would love to see some progress being made on the whole DAL thing. I really wanna invest in a Freesync monitor but won't play extra for something I might not be able to use on Linux.
                    So far all the info I found through articles was that it's 90k lines of code, that it's apparently quite horribly written and will have to be re-written from scratch? How is that going? Is there a roadmap? Or a tracker that is just the DAL efforts? Because for the last 5 months it's been "Oh yea, the DAL isn't ready yet..." and it's getting a little frustrating :/

Comment

Working...
                    X