AMDGPU In Linux 4.9 To Bring Virtual Display Support, Improved GPU Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU In Linux 4.9 To Bring Virtual Display Support, Improved GPU Reset

Phoronix: AMDGPU In Linux 4.9 To Bring Virtual Display Support, Improved GPU Reset

The first pull request has been submitted of new Radeon and AMDGPU DRM driver updates to be queued in DRM-Next for landing with the Linux 4.9 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and no DAL also

Comment

I wonder if bridgman is able to give us a front page post update on the DAL situation?

Comment

ELI5 please?

Does this mean that you can have a virtual display with a remote interface to connect say via Android / iPad and use that as the display? If I could use a Tablet as a screen with a stylus at a fair latency it might perform comperable to my Wacom Cintiq 21ux - I also like the idea of having a strong central computer between several people doing different things at once on different Tablet user sessions - that would be awesome.

Comment

No, this means you can fake having a display without having an actual display, nothing more.

You *can* access what should be displayed on the fake display and send it somewhere else to achieve what you want to do, but this is not in this pull request (nor should it be in the kernel).

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            and no DAL also
            It would be kind of strange to pull such a huge codebase into an LTS kernel I think. If they are aiming for staging maybe, I am not sure in what way staging matters in terms of LTS support.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
              and no DAL also
              Better no DAL than shitty pull requests. The first one was scary at least, and it takes time to rewrite large portions of code. We will wait for a proper code.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

That Virtual Display support looks like something needed by the XConnect project, right ?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

In my opinion, it would be better to move some of the code to GPU's "firmware" so that the Linux kernel (Windows, Mac kernel) does not need to deal with too many low-level details.

The amount of complexity in current GPUs is enough for them to contain a small operating system. It would be really cool to connect to the GPU OS via a wireless TCP/IP connection.
                  I'd rather see minimal GPU (or anything else) firmware that takes care of only the absolute minimum functionality, such as preventing self destruction and basic sanity checks, and let drivers or something else along the stack deal with the rest.

I believe we've seen enough bugs and security problems hardcoded in firmware that will never get updated or fixed, so we should know better and not ask for trouble further down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

In my opinion, it would be better to move some of the code to GPU's "firmware" so that the Linux kernel (Windows, Mac kernel) does not need to deal with too many low-level details.

The amount of complexity in current GPUs is enough for them to contain a small operating system. It would be really cool to connect to the GPU OS via a wireless TCP/IP connection.
                    No, please. *PLEASE* no. Unless firmware's source code gets released of course.

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post

I'd rather see minimal GPU (or anything else) firmware that takes care of only the absolute minimum functionality, such as preventing self destruction and basic sanity checks, and let drivers or something else along the stack deal with the rest.

I believe we've seen enough bugs and security problems hardcoded in firmware that will never get updated or fixed, so we should know better and not ask for trouble further down the line.
                    +1
                    The more closed source *SHIT* removed, the better.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X