Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi VC4 DRM Changes For Linux 4.8

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi VC4 DRM Changes For Linux 4.8

Eric Anholt at Broadcom has sent in his VC4 DRM driver changes of material for DRM-Next to in turn land with the Linux 4.8 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does the driver support ETC compressed textures yet?

Comment

Exactly which part of the RPi software stack needs to be mainlined so that it can boot without blobs?

Comment

Originally posted by amp3030 View Post
        Exactly which part of the RPi software stack needs to be mainlined so that it can boot without blobs?
        the GPU firmware. Or someone has to make a different low-level firmware that runs on CPU so it can initialize the board on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

the GPU firmware. Or someone has to make a different low-level firmware that runs on CPU so it can initialize the board on its own.
          And the latter would be part of the kernel? My point is, which existing software project should I ask/support/donate to get this done?

Comment

And the latter would be part of the kernel? My point is, which existing software project should I ask/support/donate to get this done?
            The boot firmware is a binary file loaded by the chip's boot ROM, it then runs on bare metal to initialize the hardware, then goes and boots the kernel.

It's similar to a BIOS.

There was a phoronix article about a WIP open implementation of that... lemme search....

here it is:
            https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Pi-Bootloader

It's still a WIP as it does not initialize video ports and other things, and is highly experimental, but it does boot and it is opensource.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 13 July 2016, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              The boot firmware is a binary file loaded by the chip's boot ROM (that cannot be changed) runs on bare metal before the kernel.
              There was a phoronix article about a WIP open implementation of that... lemme search....

here it is:
              https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Pi-Bootloader
              I was very curious about this and I didn't know where to look. Thank you very much!

Comment

it already boots without blobs

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  it already boots without blobs
                  My bad. I meant, "[...] so that RPi is actually usable as a desktop/server/IoT device." It seems we are not quite there yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X