DRM Changes For Linux 4.7 Bring Four New ARM Drivers, AMD Polaris Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM Changes For Linux 4.7 Bring Four New ARM Drivers, AMD Polaris Support

Phoronix: DRM Changes For Linux 4.7 Bring Four New ARM Drivers, AMD Polaris Support

The DRM subsystem updates have been submitted for the Linux 4.7 kernel. This is a big pull with more than 80,000 lines of new code for the mainline kernel!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand, i thought that the DAL was a requirement for Polaris to work?

Since it says right there that it has initial support for Polaris, can I assume that the open source drivers for Polaris will work on 4.7 but won't have HDMI 2.0 support and all the other goodies until 4.8(hopefully)?
    It says "It also doesn't contain the complete DAL code-base", does that indirectly mean that at least parts of the DAL will be upstreamed in 4.7?

Could someone clear this up?

Comment

Linux 4.7 will have support for Polaris, which will probably be announced at the e3 show.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
        I don't understand, i thought that the DAL was a requirement for Polaris to work?
        From what I gather, even without DAL, the support is just about as good as what we already have in the existing drivers. This just adds all the extra bells and whistles.

Comment

Since it says right there that it has initial support for Polaris, can I assume that the open source drivers for Polaris will work on 4.7 but won't have HDMI 2.0 support and all the other goodies until 4.8(hopefully)?
          It says "It also doesn't contain the complete DAL code-base", does that indirectly mean that at least parts of the DAL will be upstreamed in 4.7?

AFAIK the initial Polaris code push required DAL, but since the DAL code was still in the process of getting upstreamed a revised version of the code was created using pre-DAL code paths (so less functionality but not blocked by DAL discussion/rework).
          Test signature

Comment

They ported (red hat devs) some dal functionality into the dri-devel.

Comment

The non-DAL paths were always there, we just hadn't tested them much when DAL support was added. For upstream, we just re-tested the non-DAL paths and fixed a few minor issues.

Comment

Thousands of thousands of thousands of new lines and code. Remember when Linus said how bloated the kernel is becoming? DAL will be a giant addition as well. Good thing hardware is getting faster and faster... Kernel 5.0 may still have a codename "Linux Vista".

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Thousands of thousands of thousands of new lines and code. Remember when Linus said how bloated the kernel is becoming? DAL will be a giant addition as well. Good thing hardware is getting faster and faster... Kernel 5.0 may still have a codename "Linux Vista".
                  Thousands of thousands of thousands is billions. Are you sure that's what you mean ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X