• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bkor View Post
    X11 is not used on those phones.
    x11 will not be used by linux reaching 10%

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
      How "enlightening". Installing applications from untrusted sources is dangerous regardless of the format, snap, deb, rpm etc.
      every web page is an installed application from untrusted source and it has to be secure. now you are enlightened slightly more

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
        I think some people are blowing snaps out of proportion, they are here to allow easy updating of applications, not to magically solve any and all security issues on Linux.
        One of the words used for marketing snap is "it is SAFER than other package managers".

If it isn't (until we switch to wayland), it's good to show it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          so, "linux has no malware only because of lack of market share" is a lie. linux has no malware because linux is inherently secure.
          btw, android has checkbox, allowing installation from anywhere
          Come on, let's split "linux desktop" from "Android" just like we split "linux embedded". If the only thing the systems share is the kernel, while the whole fucking userspace is different, you can call them all the same, but it is a big fat stretch and you will get called out for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
            And what will that do to performance?
            Surprisingly, very little impact on performance: XMir is very lightweight since all it does is implement the X protocol to forward buffers to the actual display server. The cost comes at more limited interoperability between applications, since that's where the security exploits lie.

Comment

I think you're missing a few words in above sentence. No idea what you're saying.

Comment

so, "linux has no malware only because of lack of market share" is a lie. linux has no malware because linux is inherently secure.
                btw, android has checkbox, allowing installation from anywhere
                My point (and generally admitted) was : "linux desktop has few malware mainly because of lack of market share"

"android has checkbox, allowing installation from anywhere" -> yes but the average user only go on Google store and as I wrote the API does not allow that much harmful things (unless your phone is rooted)

Comment

I think you're missing a few words in above sentence. No idea what you're saying.

I think Pal666 is too drunk or too high to post. So basically we are loosing our time quoting him...
                  Last edited by Passso; 22 April 2016, 09:35 AM. Reason: Damn I quoted him to write that....

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
                    And what will that do to performance?
                    Probably not a whole lot because an x-server can AFAIK be pretty light weight in relation to system resources. There will need to be some work done to allow communication between x servers though, in order to make it all seemless.

Comment

My best guess:

x11 will probably not be used by linux anymore after reaching 10% market share

Comment

Working...
                      X