Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lima Driver Code Sees First Commits In Years

Phoronix: Lima Driver Code Sees First Commits In Years

A Phoronix reader wrote in excitingly that there have been a few Lima commits this week. Lima, of course, being the open-source, reverse-engineered graphics driver for ARM Mali hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At the end of the day nobody should be surprised that no one with the insane technical prowess to write graphics drivers is willing to take responsibility for a billion dollar company refusing to do the work themselves.

This is, after all, why we love AMD around here.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
      Phoronix: ARM Posts A New Mali Display DRM Driver

inb4 Luc posts a review on his blog

Seriously though, I'm sure Luc is taking a look at this. If I recall correctly from the way he left things off last time, he made it pretty clear he's just exhausted from ARM playing dirty so hopefully this should at least peak his interest

ARM pretty much matched nVidia in the sheer amount of animosity they gathered against them in the FOSS community. So, even if it's just a reference for now, it's nice to see ARM making some effort.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Display-Driver

Called it first

Really great news. For once, I have nothing negative to add

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        At the end of the day nobody should be surprised that no one with the insane technical prowess to write graphics drivers is willing to take responsibility for a billion dollar company refusing to do the work themselves.

I originally wanted to say I doubt that ARM has a billion dollars of revenue, but looking at their Wikipedia page and converting pounds→dollars it seems they are.

When my training as application developer is over (and I hopefully have a little more free time then) I might take a look at it, for fun and to improve my systems skills.

Comment

ARM Holdings is pure shit, but it's a shame so many 3rd parties decided to pick Mali for their boards. Well, maybe PowerVR would be even worse. Buying any of these is just choosing between anal rape and penetration into other holes of the body. Let's hope these open source GPUs will become better
          GPGPU microprocessor architecture. Contribute to jbush001/NyuziProcessor development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

i interpret it as something bad about nouveau folks' technical prowess

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              Nah, they are both insane AND crazy

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                I guess it is rather something bad about nvidia and ARM.

Btw, come on, ARM, keep your proprietary bitching, show everyone they need better options instead. Let people to see disadvantages of proprietary techs. Royalties? Lack of source? Blob drivers and no specs? There is already OpenRISC32, it got used in quite many places. There is Wishbone on-chip bus and set of silicon IP blocks for Wishbone. Linux supports OR32, GCC supports it. There is 64-bit core upcoming already. Sounds interesting, huh?

So when opensource GPU would meet opensource CPU on open interconnect bus, talking to open peripherals, we'll use open CAD tools to route open boards. Without all nasty proprietary bullshit with all its inherent disadvantages. It already worked for software. Seems proprietary bitching proven to be quite costly mistake for software companies, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                X