No announcement yet.

AMDGPU's xf86-video-amdgpu vs. Mode-Setting DDX Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During early development I had very different results with modesetting and amdgpu-ddx. Also getting nice and clean Vsync basically only worked with DRI3+amdgpu-ddx for Fury. Agd5f said there were a bunch of differences in the Vsync path.

But the benchmarks are run without vsync of course...

Comment

The generic driver probably does work as well as vendor specific ones for consumer use cases, but remember we're addressing the pro workstation market as well. Things like framelock/genlock will probably take a lot longer to become mainstream...
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by kurros View Post

Someone in another post complained about this, I think it was their adblocker hiding the benchmarks.

Michael is it possible to fix it? I'm premium and I find it pretty annoying... I hope it isn't a "feature".
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Michael is it possible to fix it? I'm premium and I find it pretty annoying... I hope it isn't a "feature".
          darkbasic as mentioned in a few threads now, this isn't intended but isn't anything I can do to fix on my end. EasyList added a new phoronix.com rule a few days ago that is overly broad... Any div that's centered gets blocked. So I can't really do anything on my end, you need to either disable AB/EL/whatever it is or just wait for it to get fixed. Though in trying to find the EasyList bug report, it's not showing up so maybe it will already be fixed in your next EasyList update however that is done.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
            Code:
            [COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=monospace]Section "Device"[/FONT]
            [FONT=monospace] Identifier "Device0"[/FONT]
            [FONT=monospace] Driver "modesetting"[/FONT]
            [FONT=monospace] Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"[/FONT]
            [FONT=monospace]EndSection[/FONT]
            to enable modesetting usage...
            I tried something similar on my Skylake notebook and did not manage to get it running; i get no native res and no acceleration, and Fedora still wants to load i915. Did I do it wrongly or I missing out on something?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

The real question is, if this generic driver works just as well as vendor specific ones, why do we have them in the first place?
              Well, if it does work as well, then there is no reason.
              For embedded hardware with dedicated 2d acceleration sips then it makes much more sense to make use of those, if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Yep, can confirm. Easylist, used by adblock, has a rule hiding

Code:
                phoronix.com##div[style^="text-align: center;"]
                which contains all the charts. The 1st element on the page appears to be an ad, so i guess they got carried away with the rule. Perhaps it's automatic.
                Somehow this is no surprise. I remember about a year ago getting a complaint that a totally non-monetized, no ads allowed political website I am one of the admins of was being blocked in its entirety by Adblock as well as by the DC libraries and several wireless networks. A similar issue was reported by the activist-owned Riseup email server, which was several times falsely flagged by the Spamhaus project leading to blocked emails. In short, not all authors of blocklists can be trusted, and I've seen outright politicization before. Thus, all blocklists require manual editing both to remove undesired whitelists (e.g. ABP's "paying customers") and undesired blacklists. There's no really good solution to this unfortunately. Privacy Badger's behavior system, for instance, won't work on a "stateless" browser which is always run from a fresh start.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I tried something similar on my Skylake notebook and did not manage to get it running; i get no native res and no acceleration, and Fedora still wants to load i915. Did I do it wrongly or I missing out on something?
                  modesetting isn't a DRM driver, it's a DDX, you can't replace i915 (a kernel module) with modesetting. You want to run modesetting Xorg DDX driver on top of the i915 kernel DRM module. Simply setting it in your xorg.conf driver section will do it. Otherwise the "intel" Xorg DDX driver is used by default.

Comment

Working...
                  X