Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU's xf86-video-amdgpu vs. Mode-Setting DDX Performance

Phoronix: AMDGPU's xf86-video-amdgpu vs. Mode-Setting DDX Performance

To complement the xf86-video-ati vs. xf86-video-modesetting benchmarks from quite a while ago, here are some tests of the 3D performance in seeing any performance differences between the xf86-video-amdgpu DDX for the GCN 1.2 GPUs versus using the generic xf86-video-modesetting driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be very unlogical if you could see a huge diff. For me the AMDGPU ddx is more or less a modesetting clone aimed to run future fglrx with older Xorg.

Comment

wait - your fury9 is now reclocking correctly?

Comment

How does one make the system use the generic modesetting driver over the various other drivers? And will the modesetting driver be capable of providing proper native resolution for the display?

I want to try out the modesetting driver on Skylake in Fedora 23 but i don't know how to go about doing it as the system automatically defaults to the Intel drivers.

Comment

I'm fairly certain both DDX's use Glamor for the rendering path. It would be surprising if they didn't perform similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            How does one make the system use the generic modesetting driver over the various other drivers? And will the modesetting driver be capable of providing proper native resolution for the display?

I want to try out the modesetting driver on Skylake in Fedora 23 but i don't know how to go about doing it as the system automatically defaults to the Intel drivers.
            Adjust the xorg.conf.

It is native resolution for the display since xf86-video-modesetting depends upon DRM/KMS drivers that do all the actual work.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Where are the benchmarks?
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Where are the benchmarks?
                Someone in another post complained about this, I think it was their adblocker hiding the benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by kurros View Post
                  Someone in another post complained about this, I think it was their adblocker hiding the benchmarks.
                  Can confirm this (temporarily toggling cosmetic filtering with UB shows the benchmarks). Here's an archive.is link for anyone else who can't see it: https://archive.is/OoZ9t

Is this intentional?

Comment

Hmm, as as premium user I should not be subjected to ads at all - and still the benchmarks are missing with activated ad-blocker :-(

Comment

Working...
                    X