No announcement yet.

Are You Sure You Want X.Org To Die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh. I don't think anyone is calling for the X.Org Foundation to die. They are calling for xorg (and I specifically write xorg without capitals and dots to denote the software) to die, and that's something completely different.

But, of course, it won't die (probably ever), just live on as XWayland instead, hopefully with a reduced feature set.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
      What's the state of network transparency with Wayland? Is there a nice solution meanwhile, that's at least as convenient to the user as X11 (meaning: remote windows look exactly like local windows, are managed by the local WM,...)?
      you mean as slow as X11. no use, thanx

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
        Is wayland more portable than x.org? I mean by dependencies.
        x.org run on minix 3, BSD, and other open source OS. But wayland only on linux, that might be normal though, being experimental technology.
        it will be normal regardless of status. nobody cares about marginals

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
          Neither Wayland nor Mir are ready to fully replace X.org, they lack proprietary drivers
          proprietary windows shit has no place in linux
          Last edited by pal666; 19 January 2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            proprietary windows shit has no place in linux
            It does for some people, games, advanced graphics functionality etc. Open source drivers tend to be of poor quality for newer graphic cards, offering only the basic functionality, takes time for them to progress, and its not all that peachy for all older cards either (nouveau comes to mind), ok for casual users but some people need the full power of their graphic cards for many reasons. Depending on the graphic card model one owns using open source drivers may or may not be a satisfactory experience.

Comment

Originally posted by hwertz View Post
              But until Wayland actually spports this, it's not feature-complete compared to X.
              it is feature complete, because there is implicit requirement to do it efficiently and X does not do it efficiently either

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                That should be multiple seats (mouse/keyboard/display/user) per machine... Not multiple servers.
                But I agree, a lot of this is way faster than VNC (vnc has a major lag), some applications are being an ass though...
                But the first time I played doom in a dos box, the output was on a DecImage station 2000 or so... an X-terminal only 1280x1024 @ 24 bits per pixel. The PC could render everything, but it's graphics were so terrible... My first experience with a PC at home was therefore headless or console only.
                With X you can have multiple X servers, one for each video card, AFAIK, never tried myself.

And GL probably would need to be streamed as video to a remote client. I don't know if that is already applied. Nomachine maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                  It does for some people, games
                  if people want to run windows games on windows drivers they could just as well use windows

Comment

RE: Remote Applications

Theoretically, one could turn xpra into a Wayland compositor. xpra already handles remote applications far better than plain old xdmcp sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      if people want to run windows games on windows drivers they could just as well use windows
                      That's just as asinine as any comment I've ever heard of the "init freedom" crowd.
                      Why the heck do you care about marginal things that don't even matter to the end user?

Besides. Being able to re-use part of the Windows codebase isn't a bad thing. It proves a system's flexibility.

Comment

Working...
                      X