No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.18 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So F23 has been released with a not released yet x.org server version? Well, the next time someone of fefora tell me "that is not released yet" answer I will put this in thier face.
    So this time the shame was not on rpmfusion not updated in time for the new release, this time the new release was shipped with a 17.99 version of x.org server! LOL, they are really good to make everything a mess each release, the best part is that every time is for a different reason.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      So F23 has been released with a not released yet x.org server version? Well, the next time someone of fefora tell me "that is not released yet" answer I will put this in thier face.
      So this time the shame was not on rpmfusion not updated in time for the new release, this time the new release was shipped with a 17.99 version of x.org server! LOL, they are really good to make everything a mess each release, the best part is that every time is for a different reason.
      The Fedora project is in no way connected to proprietary software, so they didn't mess v anything. Pure Fedora installations are their primary target. It is closed source software that must target specific OS releases. Nvidia chose not to target Fedora 23 at launch, that's fine. Now they are in a position where all the cutting edge distros, including Arch and Gentoo, are waiting for them to update their drivers.

In other words, they are late.

Comment

Greek codenames! Finally Xorg community turn towards the left direction, love it!

Comment

...and it's kind of surprising to me that Fedora would ship an official distribution release with beta software for something as fundamental as the X server.
          Was a little surprising to me too, but considering it works fine for me with open-source graphics drivers on 3 different machines I have... I don't see any real problem. I'm actually glad they ship a git version of the radeon driver for DRI3

Fedora doesn't hold packages or release dates up for proprietary drivers, which is great in my opinion. If I recall correctly, Ubuntu was willing to hold back their XOrg version to wait for AMD Catalyst support even after plenty of people requested otherwise... but I guess the publicity made AMD rush out a new driver compatible with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
            Agree. They should do DDX releases more often.
            Agreed, the 7.5.0 release was 13 months ago!

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post

The Fedora project is in no way connected to proprietary software, so they didn't mess v anything. Pure Fedora installations are their primary target. It is closed source software that must target specific OS releases. Nvidia chose not to target Fedora 23 at launch, that's fine. Now they are in a position where all the cutting edge distros, including Arch and Gentoo, are waiting for them to update their drivers.

In other words, they are late.
              Right, except that invert the reality is always an hard activity, isn't it?
              Nobody can target Fedora 23 at launch, Nvidia included, because they have shipped a development version of x.org server.
              x.org is not closed source software, so they were well informed that the 1.18 would not be released in time for F23. So they have deliberately included a development version of one of the most important package, then your "invert the reality" activity should just stop here.

Comment

Nobody can target Fedora 23 at launch, Nvidia included.
                WRONG. AMD will be able with its new proprietary driver.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by dietrdan View Post
                  Agreed, the 7.5.0 release was 13 months ago!
                  Those 13 months are nothing, intel does not have real ddx release for 26 months now... even Debian has more real releases in 26 months
                  Last edited by dungeon; 10 November 2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

WRONG. AMD will be able with its new proprietary driver.
                    Only if the new AMD proprietary driver will be capable of time travel.

Comment

Only if the new AMD proprietary driver will be capable of time travel.
                      I obviously meant for future Fedora versions, it will simply work with every xorg-server development snapshot, something that nvidia will be never able to achieve.
                      Hopefully we will get it before xorg-server will be discontinued :P
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X