Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 358.09 Beta Prepares For DRM Mode-Setting Interface

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Cape View Post
    I predict mass spreading of wayland when nvidia proprietary will finally support it. It will probably be the default server after 6 months from a stable nvidia release
    Nvidia has been working on this for years and by now I'm tired of waiting, all hope is on nouveau to become usable and it's not because of no vdpau ootb.

    With this beta release they don't support modesetting or anything else related to wayland, they're still laying the groundwork while being presented by phoronix as some huge work while really being yet another sign of lazy work towards wayland.
    Last edited by mark45; 12 October 2015, 03:43 PM.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by mark45 View Post

      Nvidia has been working on this for years and by now I'm tired of waiting, all hope is on nouveau to become usable and it's not because of no vdpau ootb.

      With this beta release they don't support modesetting or anything else related to wayland, they're still laying the groundwork while being presented by phoronix as some huge work while really being yet another sign of lazy work towards wayland.
      I'm of the opposite opinion.

      And other proprietary drivers don't even support EGL, while nvidia does and we actually see KMS and stuff for wayland being mainlined into driver.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Cape View Post
        I predict mass spreading of wayland when nvidia proprietary will finally support it. It will probably be the default server after 6 months from a stable nvidia release
        Not sure on this. AFAI understand there are protocol level stuff that also need to be addressed and i don't think the devs are rushing.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by magika View Post
          I'm of the opposite opinion.

          And other proprietary drivers don't even support EGL, while nvidia does and we actually see KMS and stuff for wayland being mainlined into driver.
          Huh?
          http://developer.amd.com/community/b...ktop-near-you/
          http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-s...opengl-es-sdk/

          Not that I use catalyst...

          Comment


          • #15
            Oh it's AMD, well that will still be only Xorg 1.16 and kernel 3.4 supported as they can't get their shit together to support recent kernels and Xorg versions.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
              When I go to Nvidia's download site and put in the info about my OS and card it still sends me to the 352 download link. I just figured 355 wasn't stable on Linux yet.
              Looks like the main widget is broken, use the Advanced one, press Search: https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                Oh it's AMD, well that will still be only Xorg 1.16 and kernel 3.4 supported as they can't get their shit together to support recent kernels and Xorg versions.
                Catalyst 15.7 works here in Kubuntu 15.10 with Linux 4.2 and Xorg 1.17.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Seems to me Linux (the kernel), Xorg, and (g)libc should all have LTS versions, following the same release schedule. That'd help people who already have drivers and just want a working system, and make it easier for people like Valve to target a platform (even on distros like ArchLinux), and provide a more stable target for development to happen on. Of course, glibc doesn't really have any issues except when they break ABI, understandably, but it'd make sense, for example, for an LTS kernel to target a glibc with a particular ABI until the next major LTS version unless there's some sort of vulnerability in the older version. You could just flag a new glibc as LTS the next time an LTS kernel is released, I guess.

                  Anyway, sorry for going off topic. Just spitting out some ideas that came to mind.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    EGL != OpenGL ES

                    And I'm not sure about the point of supporting OpenGL ES in Catalyst. Does AMD still have embedded graphics solutions? I'm guessing they do, if they bother with OpenGL ES, but I can't recall anything about it.
                    Last edited by bug77; 12 October 2015, 05:54 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      "Accessing OpenGL ES 2.0 on the desktop is very similar to traditional embedded systems and can be done by using the EGL window management system." --first link
                      "Typically, emulators or translation layers are required to develop and execute OpenGL ES application in desktop environments, but with this SDK, AMD provides fully compliant native support for OpenGL ES 2.0/3.0/3.1 and EGL on systems running AMD Radeon? HD, AMD Mobility Radeon? HD, and AMD FirePro? graphics cards." --second link

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X