Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD's Radeon Code Catches Up To The Linux 3.17 Kernel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DragonFlyBSD's Radeon Code Catches Up To The Linux 3.17 Kernel

    Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD's Radeon Code Catches Up To The Linux 3.17 Kernel

    Fran?ois Tigeot, the developer that's been prolific in porting the DRM/KMS code from Linux to DragonFlyBSD, now has the Radeon DRM code matching that of the Linux 3.17 kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...SD-Radeon-3.17

  • #2
    Ah good, hopefully the BSDs will catch up on the graphics code soon then.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good news

      Was looking into switching to another Linux distro, and after not really finding anything better than what I'm using now, I looked into BSD. Would have tried to switch to it, but graphics support on my 7850 didn't seem too great.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        Good news

        Was looking into switching to another Linux distro, and after not really finding anything better than what I'm using now, I looked into BSD. Would have tried to switch to it, but graphics support on my 7850 didn't seem too great.
        Worked fine for me with a 6850; the only problem was the GPU power management--running the fans at full speed with no power saving made for a noisy and hot room. And now I have an R9 390 it's not supported at all. It's definitely coming along though--I'll be on a FreeBSD desktop at some point. Your card is marked as partially supported at https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Kernel_drivers so may be supported soon once mesa/drm are updated.

        Comment


        • #5
          Play Station 4 operating system is based on open/free BSD and in the other hand it uses the Kaveri based APU which means they have made a fine and correctly working driver for it, then why they can not fix and improve fglrx?
          Last edited by Klassic Six; 08-23-2015, 12:02 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
            Play Station 4 operating system is based on open/free BSD and in the other hand it use the Kaveri based APU which means they made a fine and working driver for it, but how they can not fix and improve the fglrx?
            fglrx it's basically OpenGL and OpenCL implementation and consoles doesn't use any of it. There is only proprietary APIs as well as OpenGL ES implemented on top of this proprietary API.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD's Radeon Code Catches Up To The Linux 3.17 Kernel

              Fran?ois Tigeot, the developer that's been prolific in porting the DRM/KMS code from Linux to DragonFlyBSD, now has the Radeon DRM code matching that of the Linux 3.17 kernel...

              http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...SD-Radeon-3.17
              The update was made by another developer, Rimvydas Jasinskas as shown in this commit: http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/drago...f18682ea895725

              Comment

              Working...
              X