Linux 4.2 DRM Updates: Lots Of AMD Attention, No Nouveau Driver Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.2 DRM Updates: Lots Of AMD Attention, No Nouveau Driver Changes

Phoronix: Linux 4.2 DRM Updates: Lots Of AMD Attention, No Nouveau Driver Changes

David Airlie has sent in the main DRM driver updates for the Linux 4.2 kernel. There's a lot of open-source graphics driver work represented by this pull request, but sadly no Nouveau (open-source NVIDIA) changes were incorporated for Linux 4.2..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will supporting pageflip with virtio-gpu be in 4.2 later on? Or in a later release? Apparently Weston needs it... I tried it a few days ago, and would like to know

Comment

"Ben [Skeggs, Nouveau DRM maintainer] was working on something big"
      Any hints on what this refers to?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post

Any hints on what this refers to?
        While I don't know what he was working on, that often implies large restructuring in codebase that can't sanely be merged in parts

Comment

And that is why my next graphics card even I hate Nvidia will be one from nvidia, If I have on my gaming-konsole-pc have the choice between windows and nvidia I choose Nvidia in a eyeblink.

Seems like AMD did miss that this year Linux as major gaming plattform starts. Under Windows Nvidia has 60 70% Users? Under Linux which could soon have 30% of the pc gamers Nvidia will have 95% of all users.

You should not start acting when big things did happen, but while they happens. Its even worse than it was.... no 0day driver support for the new graphics card. Sorry I can be the biggest fanboy of amd, but on this front its a complete fail.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            And that is why...
            What are you referring to, exactly?
            Last edited by Solid State Brain; 26 June 2015, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I hope Fiji doesn't take too long, I'm hoping to pick up an R9 Nano.

Comment

I would like to see some high-end single-height video cards for a change. Something that does not take up two slots in a system. And no video cards requiring 6- or 8-pin power connectors. Something very power-efficient without sacrificing too much performance.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  And that is why my next graphics card even I hate Nvidia will be one from nvidia, If I have on my gaming-konsole-pc have the choice between windows and nvidia I choose Nvidia in a eyeblink.

Seems like AMD did miss that this year Linux as major gaming plattform starts. Under Windows Nvidia has 60 70% Users? Under Linux which could soon have 30% of the pc gamers Nvidia will have 95% of all users.

You should not start acting when big things did happen, but while they happens. Its even worse than it was.... no 0day driver support for the new graphics card. Sorry I can be the biggest fanboy of amd, but on this front its a complete fail.
                  I see it a different way

I bought a Tonga card expressly because of the work they're doing with AMDGPU. It's far more important to me to have reliable long-term support without proprietary drivers, so I backed the company that's working on that. I've had to run Windows for a few months but meh, I'll survive!

Once 4.2 drops, AMDGPU means I'll be able to boot and run any distro without proprietary driver hell for the life of the card. If I'd gone with an Nvidia card I would either be running the barely usable Nouveau or trying to shoe-horn the proprietary driver into Fedora... no thanks.

radeon was rock-solid for me for years (5850, 6800K, 7750 etc.) so I have faith in AMD to do this right.

Sure, it sucks to have to wait but sometimes the "doing the right thing" isn't the easy/quick option.

Comment

Working...
                  X