No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's BulletProofX To Be Canned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the real issue here is a bug with BulletProofX, it should keep the old log file about.

That's it!

Comment

The old file is created by Xorg itself btw. - as soon as you start the xserver the last one gets renamed and a new is written.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        The old file is created by Xorg itself btw. - as soon as you start the xserver the last one gets renamed and a new is written.
        So is this what a *proper* setup should do?
        - Try to use a fully accelerated driver
        - Check to see if it fails
        - If it doesn't, leave it alone, otherwise cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log to /var/log/Xorg.0.log.failed
        - Make X use VESA, and restart X

Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I dislike those automatic features. They are not really helpful for debugging, well maybe for noobs
          Agreed.

I absolutely fscking HATE bulletproof X. I can't believe it was included to begin with.

The worst part, was that it kept spawning new processes, turning what would be as simple as stopping gdm through init into a task requiring some serious bash foo.

Comment

Hey, I'm sure that thing doesn't come with gentoo or slackware or whatever other non-n00b distro you use. Why does it bother you?

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
              Hey, I'm sure that thing doesn't come with gentoo or slackware or whatever other non-n00b distro you use. Why does it bother you?
              Though I don't use Ubuntu any more (due to stupid decisions like BulletProofX), it bothers me that it's included because Ubuntu support sucks and their users end up in #compiz-fusion trying to get their drivers working :-)

Adam

Comment

Of course. Instead of sitting on an 800x600 res troubleshooting, you'd like them to get a terminal so that they have absolutely no idea what to do and boot between windows to troubleshoot?

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                  Of course. Instead of sitting on an 800x600 res troubleshooting, you'd like them to get a terminal so that they have absolutely no idea what to do and boot between windows to troubleshoot?
                  We've been over this. I'd like BulletProofX to do the right thing and backup a copy of the helpful /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Barring that, then yes I'd prefer that a few users get offended by being dropped to a TTY, complain to Ubuntu, and a better solution get developed as a result.

Adam

Comment

Chances are, they won't complain. They'll simply go away.

Comment

I guess we just have different ideas on mind for linux. I see it as a tool I can use. You see it as a tool everyone should use.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                      X