X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glisse
    replied
    Originally posted by Tillin9 View Post
    I second that having a good tutorial for less experienced users about how to recompile Xorg from git would be most appreciated. I can redo drm, mesa, ddx just fine, but even following the directions here http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide I could never get a new xorg which worked 100%.

Debian and other distros are also only shipping the stable Xorg branch, 1.4, so this would be nice for many reasons.
    The easiest instruction are :

If we de have enough time to write better doc we would likely already have newest code in distrib

Leave a comment:

• Tillin9
    replied
    I second that having a good tutorial for less experienced users about how to recompile Xorg from git would be most appreciated. I can redo drm, mesa, ddx just fine, but even following the directions here http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide I could never get a new xorg which worked 100%.

Debian and other distros are also only shipping the stable Xorg branch, 1.4, so this would be nice for many reasons.

Leave a comment:

• glisse
    replied
    Originally posted by edged View Post
    Thanks for the information, but will this break proprietary/commercial drivers - will those need to be updated to be "compatible" with the new X-server? Or am I looking at this in the wrong way, and it's not a restructuring of the entire layout but rather adding of this newer/better pathway design?

Further I have one last question if you would indulge
    Do the supporting libraries/interfaces differ so much that it will require apps to be recompiled/relinked to be able to run accelerated under the new environment?

I don't know about closed driver but i think they use their own libgl so their should not be any problem.

App doesn't need to be recompiled, this interface change are btw the mesa driver and the X server, app never see this layer directly, they call into libGL.

Leave a comment:

• edged
    replied
    Originally posted by glisse View Post
    This means that interface btw X server & mesa driver have been broken so that X server git new mesa git or that for new DRI2 you need to rebuild Xserver & mesa (also ddx).
    Thanks for the information, but will this break proprietary/commercial drivers - will those need to be updated to be "compatible" with the new X-server? Or am I looking at this in the wrong way, and it's not a restructuring of the entire layout but rather adding of this newer/better pathway design?

Further I have one last question if you would indulge
    Do the supporting libraries/interfaces differ so much that it will require apps to be recompiled/relinked to be able to run accelerated under the new environment?

I ask this, because I went through this already in a 'worst-case scenario' - I was around in the transition between XF86 3.x and 4.x, and frankly it shafted people with low-end boxes, it took ages for drivers to catch-up and all sort of haxies to be able to run commercial binaries (recall q2hack)

Thanks for your time!

Leave a comment:

• glisse
    replied
    Originally posted by edged View Post

Not sure I get this statement. Does this mean backwards compatibility was broken or that accelerated OpenGL is hosed?
    This means that interface btw X server & mesa driver have been broken so that X server git new mesa git or that for new DRI2 you need to rebuild Xserver & mesa (also ddx).

Leave a comment:

• edged
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    DRI2 Direct Rendering Now Available
    However, to reach this state the DRI interface was broken.

Not sure I get this statement. Does this mean backwards compatibility was broken or that accelerated OpenGL is hosed?

Leave a comment:

• BlueKoala
    replied
    That's great news! I love it!

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    Oh nice, I'm looking forward to seeing previews for my minimized windows.

Leave a comment:

• Gottxxc
    replied
    Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
    Heh, the "only" things missing now are Gallium3d, OpenGl 3 and glucose AND support for all of them in the ati catalyst driver
    Before the ati catalyst driver those standards support the radeonhd and the radeon driver will be totally complete and 100% stable.

Leave a comment:

• Uchikoma
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    all of them coming today!
    April fools~!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X