No announcement yet.

DRI2 Direct Rendering Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, the "only" things missing now are Gallium3d, OpenGl 3 and glucose AND support for all of them in the ati catalyst driver
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
    all of them coming today!

Comment

I'd like to try the new DRI2 when it's usable in either radeon or radeonhd or fglrx. But, ubuntu probably won't have DRI2 until at least the next version in October.

Is anyone aware of a howto or wiki on installing it from git?

I've successfully done the git versions of drm and mesa and am using them with radeon on ubuntu 8.04 beta (xorg 1.4) to be able to use EXA. But, I see some dri2 going into xorg 1.5 today, which might mean all xorg has to be from git if I want to try it?

Any idea when fglrx or radeon or radeonhd will start using it?

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
        I'd like to try the new DRI2 when it's usable in either radeon or radeonhd or fglrx. But, ubuntu probably won't have DRI2 until at least the next version in October.

Is anyone aware of a howto or wiki on installing it from git?

I've successfully done the git versions of drm and mesa and am using them with radeon on ubuntu 8.04 beta (xorg 1.4) to be able to use EXA. But, I see some dri2 going into xorg 1.5 today, which might mean all xorg has to be from git if I want to try it?

Any idea when fglrx or radeon or radeonhd will start using it?
        Question is still open, will this be ported to old ddx stuff (i won't do that) or will this need kernel mode setting as to my opinion you want a new drm module for proper memory management (doing this in current one is painfull a should be avoided from my POV).

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          all of them coming today!
          April fools~!

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
            Heh, the "only" things missing now are Gallium3d, OpenGl 3 and glucose AND support for all of them in the ati catalyst driver
            Before the ati catalyst driver those standards support the radeonhd and the radeon driver will be totally complete and 100% stable.

Comment

Oh nice, I'm looking forward to seeing previews for my minimized windows.

Comment

That's great news! I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  DRI2 Direct Rendering Now Available
                  However, to reach this state the DRI interface was broken.

Not sure I get this statement. Does this mean backwards compatibility was broken or that accelerated OpenGL is hosed?

Comment

Originally posted by edged View Post

Not sure I get this statement. Does this mean backwards compatibility was broken or that accelerated OpenGL is hosed?
                    This means that interface btw X server & mesa driver have been broken so that X server git new mesa git or that for new DRI2 you need to rebuild Xserver & mesa (also ddx).

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                      This means that interface btw X server & mesa driver have been broken so that X server git new mesa git or that for new DRI2 you need to rebuild Xserver & mesa (also ddx).
                      Thanks for the information, but will this break proprietary/commercial drivers - will those need to be updated to be "compatible" with the new X-server? Or am I looking at this in the wrong way, and it's not a restructuring of the entire layout but rather adding of this newer/better pathway design?

Further I have one last question if you would indulge
                      Do the supporting libraries/interfaces differ so much that it will require apps to be recompiled/relinked to be able to run accelerated under the new environment?

I ask this, because I went through this already in a 'worst-case scenario' - I was around in the transition between XF86 3.x and 4.x, and frankly it shafted people with low-end boxes, it took ages for drivers to catch-up and all sort of haxies to be able to run commercial binaries (recall q2hack)

Thanks for your time!

Comment

Working...
                      X