Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.17 Makes It Into Ubuntu 15.04

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.17 Makes It Into Ubuntu 15.04

X.Org Server 1.17 has made it into Ubuntu 15.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nobody expected this after:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hail to Ubuntu and AMD!

Comment

Is Mir not even available as an experimental option like Wayland in Fedora 21?

Comment

More great news delivered by our one and only mailman at Phoronix!

Comment

Yes I think I will be moving over from Opensuse to Kubuntu 15.04. Especially as Kubuntu 15.10 could well be out before Suse 13.3. I'd be interested to know how the Kubuntu and Gubuntu maintainers find things as we move into a post xorg world. Whether Shuttleworth's claim is true, that Mir or a Wayland are just minor bits of code sitting near the top of the Stack that have little effect or complication for interoperability.

So does this mean that the Ubuntu family will all be using libinput in 15.04?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000
            ...some blithering nonsense....
            The article is about the graphics server / graphics stack on Ubuntu 15.04.

My question was about the availability of the alternative, upcoming server technology for Ubuntu 15.04.

Wayland is a competitor of sorts to Mir.

There is a distribution available where you can try Wayland as a tech preview (Fedora 21). I was enquiring whether Ubuntu 15.04 would have a similar tech preview of Mir.

Do you see?

Comment

Yay, finally!

It also features version 1.17 of XWayland which is part of X.Org.

Install Weston and XWayland, the reference compositor for Wayland:
              $ sudo apt-get install weston xwayland

From within X run a Weston instance in a window inside X:
              $ weston

From the Linux console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) launch Weston natively:
              $ weston-launch

Install GNOME with a session that uses the Wayland backend:
              $ sudo apt-get install gnome-session-wayland

From the Linux console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) launch GNOME with the Wayland backend:
              $ gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland

Start GDM which allows you to launch GNOME either with the X or the Wayland backend:
              $ service lightdm stop
              $ service gdm start

In your home directory under the .config directory ($XDG_CONFIG_HOME) you can put a weston.ini file that loads the XWayland module.
              Weston Wayland compositor. Contribute to krh/weston development by creating an account on GitHub.

Code:
              [core]
              modules=xwayland.so

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

My question was about the availability of the alternative, upcoming server technology for Ubuntu 15.04.

There is a distribution available where you can try Wayland as a tech preview (Fedora 21). I was enquiring whether Ubuntu 15.04 would have a similar tech preview of Mir.

Do you see?

Just ignore that. Yes you can use Mir as a "tech preview" in many ways. You can download the "Ubuntu Destop Next" image from here http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-des...live/20150308/ and try it on a vm, a live cd or just installing it in a PC or you can try it in a linux container even in Trusty with this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity8inLXC

Comment

Do you see?
                  Seems like a bit of a stretch, but alright.

In any case, Ubuntu has had a Desktop Next image for a while now (I think as far back as Utopic dailies) that claims to have Unity 8 being demoed with Mir.

Comment

another distro

Is Mir not even available as an experimental option like Wayland in Fedora 21?
                    mir is default in ubuntu-next

Comment

Working...
                    X