Why The X.Org Foundation Wants To Join The SPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    You often need the background knowledge to (re)write about the topic yourself in order to understand Phoronix articles. Sadly. Michael, do you hear this?
    X.org joining SPI has been an ongoing topic. If you don't know what SPI is, then use the search function. If Michael links back to previous articles explaining these things, then people jump down his throat for having too many internal links.
    So, as with a lot of things in life, there's just no winning and as the famous saying goes, "You can't please all of the people all of the time."

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      X.org joining SPI has been an ongoing topic. If you don't know what SPI is, then use the search function. If Michael links back to previous articles explaining these things, then people jump down his throat for having too many internal links.
      So, as with a lot of things in life, there's just no winning and as the famous saying goes, "You can't please all of the people all of the time."
      I dont like you now because you're making sense =D
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
        Honestly if you read the article in full and didn't understand 501(c)3 and SPI was... Well I just don't believe you didn't. You can't be that stupid.
        I hadn't a clue, but it was obvious 501(c)3 was tax-exemption status, and SPI was some kind of umbrella organisation for smaller non-profits.

Sometimes...
        Lack of knowledge != stupidity. Also: Yes, I'm able to Google it. Yes, I'm able to catch the gist of the article even without doing so. Nevertheless, I would expect a well written article to contain answers these questions. It's called "constructive criticism". I said what I said to make it clear the article is lacking and what needs to be done to improve it. But if you want to use that as grounds for an attack against my person, feel free.

Originally posted by DanL
        X.org joining SPI has been an ongoing topic. If you don't know what SPI is, then use the search function. If Michael links back to previous articles explaining these things, then people jump down his throat for having too many internal links. So, as with a lot of things in life, there's just no winning and as the famous saying goes, "You can't please all of the people all of the time."
        Who said anything about external links. Simply rephrasing the first few sentences like this is all that's needed:

"X.Org members will soon be voting on whether the X.Org Foundation should dissolve its 501(c)3 non-profit state and become a project of Software in the Public Interest (SPI). The SPI is a non-profit organization that aims to help other organizations distribute their open source software and hardware. To join this organization X.Org would would first need to dissolve its own non-profit state. [Now add info about X.Org and 501(c)3]."

Comment

Serial Peripheral Interface Bus?

Comment

Software in the Public Interest. The umbrella organization behind Debian. This should have been spelled out in the article, but why would Larabel care about being informative when people will send him money anyway?

Comment

When I type 'SPI' into Phoronix's search box, I don't see anything like that....

This should have been spelled out in the article, but why would Larabel care about being informative
              Why would he take the time to do/type that when he's already done it in recent articles? Why can't you be bothered to use the search function? Do you also want Michael to follow you into the bathroom and wipe your ass for you?

Comment

Why would he take the time to do/type that when he's already done it in recent articles? Why can't you be bothered to use the search function? Do you also want Michael to follow you into the bathroom and wipe your ass for you?
                Because it would be the professional thing to do. Being a journalist is his job, it earns him money, ergo it's his profession, ergo he should act like a professional.

Are you seriously arguing that writing "Software in the Public Interest (SPI)" instead of simply "SPI" would've taken too much of his time? Or "501(c)3 non-profit state" instead of "501(c)3 state"? The thing with abbreviations is: They're ambiguous (as @Kemosabe pointed out). I, as the reader, should not have to work to be able to understand what the author trying to tell me, it's the authors job to write in such a way as to make himself understood.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                  i was getting the feeling that xorg was getting more political over the years (maybe even socio-political ?)
                  one should never go full political...

what ever happened to dope smoking neckbeards that couldn't give less shit about shallow things like this ?
                  X.org foundation used to be much much more political. It was a proper gentlemen's club with board members having secret meetings, with no records kept. They even were known to giving eachother whisky bottles on board expenses. Today the meetings are public, and because of this increased scrutiny, some of the purely political players no longer have a position on the board.

Now if only the board would be relevant, and for instance use the foundations resources to pay for reliable infrastructure, where no home directories vanish and no repos are maliciously hacked by admins.

Comment

Working...
                  X