Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now-Closed KDE Vulnerabilities Remind Us X11 Screen Locks / Screensavers Are Insecure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    You should have a lock on the door. Computers can't be trusted. If someone has access to your room, he can also physically disassemble your computer and read data.
    It is a lot easier to do a few mouse clicks without getting caught than disassembling a computer.

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Instead of lock screens log out. It's a standard feature since novel netware etc.
    That is great, I will just cancel my 8-hour simulation runs whenever I go to the bathroom. Brilliant plan there.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      I like how this handled on Windows: Hibernate and in addition to screen lock your disk encryption also locks up so you have to enter two passwords to access the machine. User data is typically encrypted behind a second layer of encryption which uses user password
      If someone has physical access to your machine, he can install a a cheap *physical* USB key logger on between your keyboard and your computer and he owns your ass.

Mind you, I do agree that a working (Ugh) screen saver lock, hibernation and disk encryption go a long way to improve the security of your machine, but even this is far from being enough.

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
      X