Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.17 Should Ship Soon, X.Org Server 1.18 Likely To Be A Quicker Cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.17 Should Ship Soon, X.Org Server 1.18 Likely To Be A Quicker Cycle

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.17 Should Ship Soon, X.Org Server 1.18 Likely To Be A Quicker Cycle

Keith Packard of Intel has provided a status update concerning the soon-to-be-out X.Org Server 1.17 and its successor, X.Org Server 1.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    while AMD Catalyst users will have to wait an unknown amount of time (it can be as bad as a few months) before seeing such support
    Since AMD moved to the new release model, people have to wait months for a new driver anyway. We had a driver in December, so the next one probably won't come before spring.

Comment

Supposedly the Arch unofficial package build has a patch to make it work on kernel 3.18 but an older XServer will likely have to used for a while or prevent Xserver 1.16 from upgrading to 1.17:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...g_repositories

Comment

I finally got a chance to get Gnome Wayland running on Fedora 21 with Intel graphics. Quite an interesting experience. Most everything is still running via XWayland, but a few Gnome apps can be invoked in Wayland via:
        Code:
        GDK_BACKEND=wayland gedit(or other Gnome app name)
        Some instructions here:
        http://fedoramagazine.org/gnome-on-w...-in-fedora-21/

Comment

Pretty much this. Moving to a whenever release model is the dumbest thing AMD has ever done. And for some reason they refuse to assign a single developer to it for a few hours to make it compatible with new Xorg versions, so we have to wait months before we can use AMD drivers on rolling distributions when a new Xorg version comes out. This is the definition of shitty product support; or lack of support. I like where the FOSS drivers are going, but they still have a few years worth of work before they can run TF2 or Minecraft properly; I mean Catalyst doesn't even run them right. I hate going with Nvidia, but unless your needs are HTPC or a work desktop, AMD just does not cut it on Linux/BSD.
          Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Since AMD moved to the new release model, people have to wait months for a new driver anyway. We had a driver in December, so the next one probably won't come before spring.
          Last edited by The Walking Glitch; 05 January 2015, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post
            Pretty much this. Moving to a whenever release model is the dumbest thing AMD has ever done. And for some reason they refuse to assign a single developer to it for a few hours to make it compatible with new Xorg versions, so we have to wait months before we can use AMD drivers on rolling distributions when a new Xorg version comes out. This is the definition of shitty product support; or lack of support. I like where the FOSS drivers are going, but they still have a few years worth of work before they can run TF2 or Minecraft properly; I mean Catalyst doesn't even run them right. I hate going with Nvidia, but unless your needs are HTPC or a work desktop, AMD just does not cut it on Linux/BSD.
            Blob supports stable+ releases, opensource driver supports git - that is how it goes. Do you want blob to support git, but opensource only releases? If you want both only git really supported that is what you will get with amdgpu driver. Then will someone say, what is now that shit, why releases are not supported anymore, etc... please, please, please, support releases like earlier

We are walking in circles with that popular AMD bashing without really any good reason

BTW, TF2 and Minecraft works excelent with radeon driver.

Comment

Nvidia and AMD should both drop blob support , then will people better realise what is this thread about .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Blob supports stable+ releases, opensource driver supports git - that is how it goes. Do you want blob to support git, but opensource only releases? If you want both only git really supported that is what you will get with amdgpu driver. Then will someone say, what is now that shit, why releases are not supported anymore, etc... please, please, please, support releases like earlier We are walking in circles with that popular AMD bashing without really any good reason BTW, TF2 and Minecraft works excelent with radeon driver.
                First, there is no excuse for them not to make an updated point release to support new xorg and kernel versions. None whatsoever, period, end of story, full stop. Second, no they do not run fine on Radeon unless it is light-years ahead of Catalyst in performance and smoothness; but all benchmarks here indicate it to be the other way around. With Catalyst TF2 is unplayable (unless you don't care for classes that require actual aiming, mini-spamming is still doable) with low settings on a 1080p monitor with a 7870 @1200 core. The framerate gets up to about 110 max, but if I move FOV, it will drop into the low 30s before it goes back up to about 50-60. It also constantly stutters worse than I have ever seen on any setup before. Vsync causes performance issues where it only gets 3-4 FPS. When I still had Windows 7 I maxed out the settings and still got 100+ FPS, and it never once dropped below 70 FPS. This is completely and utterly unacceptable. EDIT: Apparently this forum software turns your nicely formatted paragraphs into a big block of text... Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post
                  no they do not run fine on Radeon unless it is light-years ahead of Catalyst in performance and smoothness
                  For me TF2 never falls below 60 FPS, which is my monitors refresh rate, so all is fine. Also it's prooven that the FOSS driver is faster than catalyst on both, linux and windows, for some workloads: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nlin2014&num=2

Smoothness is lightyears ahead of catalyst.

Input lag makes the game unplayable on catalyst but doesn't exist on the FOSS driver:
                  Issue transferred from ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux#1375 @PancakeWagon posted at 2013-02-07T21:00:21Z: When vsync is on I have input lag with both my keyboard and mouse. When I turn it off the lag...

There is an issue in all Source games on Linux. I guess it has something to do with AMD drivers - mouse is very slow. It's a delay between real mouse move and the game reaction. This happens on an ...

In short: The lag happens in some places while having high fps. Motion blur and high resolution induce it. The problem is linked to the Fglrx driver. In-kernel threads get notable CPU usage during ...

but all benchmarks here indicate it to be the other way around.
                  I just gave a benchmark which shows just the opposite of what you said. How can that be?

I won't talk about Minecraft now as I'm working with it since years while almost exclusively using the FOSS drivers... :P

Comment

I think I may have made an interesting discovery just now.

Just a few days ago I played Counter Strike Source with Catalyst Omega and noticed the horrible jerkiness in first person movement despite the overall high-frame rate with my GPU.

However, after updating Steam to the latest client beta (January 5th) that includes the new FPS (Frames Per Second) meter, the jerkiness has seemed to have been reduced significantly (despite using the same exact driver) with Vsync enabled and completely goes away when I disable Vsync. The interesting part is when I turn on the new FPS meter in-game, the jerkiness completely goes away, even with Vsync enabled. It's as if the FPS meter is somehow inadvertently aiding the driver to function better with the source engine!

Can someone else check this out and see if they notice a difference with source games, such as CSS?

Comment

Working...
                    X