Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yash View Post
    None!
    I'm already loving my absolute tear-free xorg compiz desktop!
    Yep, it's looking good ATM. Some may say the "heyday" of X is over, but it's the only game in town. (Sure, there is the hope that someday, somehow, full wayland support will materialize, but so there have only been some rough proof of concept affairs, with limited utility) Until a major distro starts shipping a fully functional wayland without X, I'll just stick with X, thanks.

Comment

If X.org hadn't existed Wayland couldn't possibly aim so high. The X.org devs are doing a great job maintaining it and cleaning the code up. When we finally have a full replacement for it, all I could do is remember what a terrific job they did until the end of its service.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        I would love to see the ability to update video drivers without logging out. But I think this is more of a window manager / display manager limitation than an X shortcoming.
        Just relaunch xorg without logging out using startx. This is more a limitation of the login manager. If you enter a bash prompt upon login, you can avoid this issue by running startx, but otherwise it would depend on the login manager if this is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
          Yep, it's looking good ATM. Some may say the "heyday" of X is over, but it's the only game in town. (Sure, there is the hope that someday, somehow, full wayland support will materialize, but so there have only been some rough proof of concept affairs, with limited utility) Until a major distro starts shipping a fully functional wayland without X, I'll just stick with X, thanks.
          It's heydey was probably right after xorg split from xfree86. Huge difference between now and then. Xorg still has a ton of old code that was written way back in the xfree86 days. A lot of that old networking code that never belonged there. But it sure has come a long way, even though it still isn't ideal.

Comment

Those are some odd graphs. Xorg only started in 2004, so anything before that is not meaningful. It would have been a better idea to show XFree86 history in that case, or just have 2004 as the cutoff point.

Comment

I'm sick of this Wayland fanboyism on Phoronix. Alright, everyone gets it,
              Xorg is old, it's cruft, its security sucks, etc, etc. Nag nag nag.

From the position of a developer though, this software is FULL PRODUCTION.
              Do you even know what that means? It HAS to be properly maintained, it's
              in the wild, it's used by millions of users. It is great that development is not
              slowing down that much. It means it's getting more secure and fast.

Wayland is a big white hope. It's great. But it's not ready yet. So instead of
              crying over sustained rate of support for xorg (which is absolutely wonderful)
              one should talk about what's needed for wayland to get even close to a giant
              being developed for decades and holding huge crystalized codebase knowledge.

Comment

Working...
              X