Has The Sky Fallen? Qualcomm Contributes To Freedreno's DRM/KMS Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrohbeck
    Broadcom hires Eric Anholt, Qualcomm supports (?) Rob Clark, now all we need is for ARM to hire or support Luc V.
    That will never happen.

Nobody ever hires the disruptive, thorn-in-their-side trailblazer, as someone like that bruises too many egos and ruins too many political games. Cfr: VIA Technologies, anything modesetting, pushing a kicking and screaming ATI way past the point of no return, adding native display support to coreboot, ARM Mali and ARM GPUs in general, pointing out the problem with the RPi and its marketing, Allwinner and their endless and horrid GPL violations... It's all becoming a pretty old record by now.

The applause at something like fosdem is the best i can ever expect as at least a confirmation that i am doing something good, and even that is severely drowned out by the useless people repeating "is it done yet?". It's actually amazing how many people in linux graphics today have based their careers on stuff i pioneered, especially compared to the amount of open dislike there is for me in the linux graphics community. As i keep on saying: open source is not about code or technology, it is about noise and politics

Comment

To be fair, noise and politics is not limited to OSS, in proprietary world its publicity is just limited where possible. If one can't handle politics in software engineering, better not plan a career as anything more than code monkey whose job will eventually be outsourced

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        To be fair, noise and politics is not limited to OSS, in proprietary world its publicity is just limited where possible. If one can't handle politics in software engineering, better not plan a career as anything more than code monkey whose job will eventually be outsourced
        The noise and politics in open source are just much more boundless than in the corporate world, and at the end of the day, even less technical advancement is achieved for the same effort.

Comment

Working...
        X