Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X@FOSDEM 2015: Call For Presentations About Mir, Wayland, Etc

Phoronix: X@FOSDEM 2015: Call For Presentations About Mir, Wayland, Etc

Luc Verhaegen has issued his annual call for speakers for those developers wishing to discuss their work on X.Org-related projects, including Wayland, Mir, Mesa, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah, I have one of those Kwak glasses. I'm usually too nervous to use it in case I smash the blasted thing... :/

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
      It will all be a mir bashing session....
      Hopefully.

Comment

Michael, if you manage to go there, you should try Trappiste Rochefort 10, really good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
          It will all be a mir bashing session....
          I doubt it. Mir is at best a distraction and at worst irrelevant for the larger Linux ecosystem. The people still bitching about Mir vs Wayland are non-developers. Developers have said what they have to say and moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
            I doubt it. Mir is at best a distraction and at worst irrelevant for the larger Linux ecosystem. The people still bitching about Mir vs Wayland are non-developers. Developers have said what they have to say and moved on.
            For now it may not be a problem, but in the future, with Ubuntu's biggers Desktop penetration, it may pose a broblem. Even if Wayland is superiour.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              For now it may not be a problem, but in the future, with Ubuntu's biggers Desktop penetration, it may pose a broblem. Even if Wayland is superiour.
              What are u talking about, Ubuntu abondaned the desktop, they just rereleased their lts without lts support, unity got no update since dont know ever? And MAYBE if you count in Mint (while its not clear that Mint will use Mir. And if they would have at least after years going this route have some real hardware with ubuntu but there is NONE, yes maybe their are some plans or contracts or something, but I dont see that they can magicly bring millions of ubuntu users to tablets and smartphones. Their Ubuntu phone failed hard the kickstarter campain.

Microsoft prooved that not even with trillions of money behind them and 100x so much desktop users they could not bring many of them to tablet market. And they were way earlier, canonical is way to late. I dont see any problems. Heck u cant even install 3.12 gnome under Ubuntu without destroying the default desktop environment, who wants such a lockin, shure the lazy ones. But I doubt that they can hold all their users, and if all other desktop linux have around 2/3 of the linux desktop and ubuntu only has around 1/3 its nice and big for one distro (with many ubuntubased distros) but in total it has no dominance, especialy because arch fedora opensues and debian gets more similiar and if u can use one of em u can use all of em with nearly no adoption.

And its not even likely that Mint will use Mir, because their Cinemon depend on new versions of gnome and gnome developers dont care about mir support and ubuntu only support old versions of gnome pre-pre-releases. And without Mint ubuntus desktop market share is a joke. And Debian also chosen Wayland, so its likely that Steamos will also choose wayland. That alone should attrackt much mroe desktop users than ubuntu.

Ubuntu is dead, just many users did not notice it yet... time for that will come.

Comment

Even Debian gets hipp as Desktop Os, because some people dont rethink their opinions from 10 years ago about rpm based distros, and use this for desktop not very good usable distro because they want somewhere to go away from ubuntu. They will learn that a fresh debian is nice, but it gets extremly old at the end, and even unstable gets old when its freezed some time. Maybe some minority can live with such old distros, most desktop linux users not. They will then move away when they have to wait 1-2 extra years till they get the production ready wayland version while its running under fedora, archlinux and opensuse. Dont want to flame against debian, just wanted to mention that debian gets recently pretty hipp even they have all the strengths and weeknesses it had 5 or 10 years ago, and that can only be because of unhappy ex-ubuntu users.

Comment

dead?

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  What are u talking about, Ubuntu abondaned the desktop, they just rereleased their lts without lts support, unity got no update since dont know ever? And MAYBE if you count in Mint (while its not clear that Mint will use Mir. And if they would have at least after years going this route have some real hardware with ubuntu but there is NONE, yes maybe their are some plans or contracts or something, but I dont see that they can magicly bring millions of ubuntu users to tablets and smartphones. Their Ubuntu phone failed hard the kickstarter campain.

Microsoft prooved that not even with trillions of money behind them and 100x so much desktop users they could not bring many of them to tablet market. And they were way earlier, canonical is way to late. I dont see any problems. Heck u cant even install 3.12 gnome under Ubuntu without destroying the default desktop environment, who wants such a lockin, shure the lazy ones. But I doubt that they can hold all their users, and if all other desktop linux have around 2/3 of the linux desktop and ubuntu only has around 1/3 its nice and big for one distro (with many ubuntubased distros) but in total it has no dominance, especialy because arch fedora opensues and debian gets more similiar and if u can use one of em u can use all of em with nearly no adoption.

And its not even likely that Mint will use Mir, because their Cinemon depend on new versions of gnome and gnome developers dont care about mir support and ubuntu only support old versions of gnome pre-pre-releases. And without Mint ubuntus desktop market share is a joke. And Debian also chosen Wayland, so its likely that Steamos will also choose wayland. That alone should attrackt much mroe desktop users than ubuntu.

Ubuntu is dead, just many users did not notice it yet... time for that will come.
                  ubuntu dead? no lts? what are you talking about ubuntu 14.04 is a lts version, "and without mint ubuntu desktop market is a joke?" what? why ppl come with lies and more lies against ubuntu? all ppl in my collegue use ubuntu, the default one, only see a girl using mint once, ubuntu only need 1% in mobile. ubuntu desktop is not dead is better than ever and cinnamon don t depends of gnome since 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    Nope, all of the major Linux FOSS development communities (KDE,GNOME, Enlightenment) have said "We're going wayland", Chromium has been ported to support Wayland, Firefox is a WiP requiring it to finish porting to GTK3, LibreOffice is has a GTK3 plugin which makes it work under wayland. Which means that all of the general software that people use will be ported, and will run on wayland.

Alright but what about games? Well they're going to be targeting SteamOS not Ubuntu. So what they go with is up to Valve, not canonical.

Comment

Working...
                    X