X.Org Server 1.16 Delayed To Let In Non-PCI Graphics Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    You can't expect that for Wayland either, neither for Windows nor for OS_X .
    The Wayland's motto states exactly the opposite:
    "every frame is perfect: which means that the applications will be able to control the rendering enough that we'll never see tearing, lag, redrawing or flicker".
    So not only you can expect that in Wayland, but if you see something wrong, you should fill a bug instead to workaround to the design deficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      The Wayland's motto states exactly the opposite:
      "every frame is perfect: which means that the applications will be able to control the rendering enough that we'll never see tearing, lag, redrawing or flicker".
      So not only you can expect that in Wayland, but if you see something wrong, you should fill a bug instead to workaround to the design deficiencies.
      You have that client allocated per windows buffers like Wayland do in DRI3 implementation which works for intel drivers in X, others (will) follow... . Of course that is goal for Wayland since 5 years ago, but that is only "a goal" because even now that is not true because of drivers and not for *all* GPUs ... so basicaly you don't have it for blindely picked up GPU . To quote again to the assumpation i answering:

Can I expect to get a tear-free display regardless of my GPU? No.

Comment

You have that client allocated per windows buffers like Wayland do in DRI3 implementation which works for intel drivers in X, others (will) follow... . Of course that is goal for Wayland since 5 years ago, but that is only "a goal" because even now that is not true because of drivers and not for *all* GPUs ... so basicaly you don't have it for blindely picked up GPU . To quote again to the assumpation i answering:
        Do you know what tearing is? It's that artifact you see when an app draws to the framebuffer at the same time the graphics card is pushing it to the screen. That doesn't happen in Wayland, because apps don't draw to the framebuffer, and the compositor can decide when to draw, and to avoid drawing when the screen is refreshing. So if you see tearing in a Wayland compositor file a bug, because the compositor is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          X11 does not work and it is finally going to die the death it deserves. No tears were shed.
          Software is non-corporeal; it does not live or die, neither does it "deserve" anything (or not). You are allowing your emotions to impinge upon your rational judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
            Do you know what tearing is? It's that artifact you see when an app draws to the framebuffer at the same time the graphics card is pushing it to the screen. That doesn't happen in Wayland, because apps don't draw to the framebuffer, and the compositor can decide when to draw, and to avoid drawing when the screen is refreshing. So if you see tearing in a Wayland compositor file a bug, because the compositor is broken.
            Oh, i know what is tearing, that is something people fighting last 90 years, and no one beat it complitely without some downsides . Wayland provide "forced solution" for that problem, that does not mean X can't have some solution to prevent tearing . And which known dowsides that solution has?

Wayland force users to use compositor, xserver does not . Some people have issues looking at anything which is composited, so Wayland is not something which magically "God send to as" . It is just software (althorough with good ideas), but nowhere near finished nor so widely supported and it is nowhere near robustness of X, which is this article all about .

Comment

Wayland force users to use compositor, xserver does not . Some people have issues looking at anything which is composited, so Wayland is not something which magically "God send to as" . It is just software (althorough with good ideas), but nowhere near finished nor so widely supported and it is nowhere near robustness of X, which is this article all about .
              You had said wayland does not fix tearing, now you say it does but you don't like the way it does so?
              Wayland has a modern architecture, and as such it is composited. Of course you are free to keep on using the 80s-style software, but the only downside compositing has to non-compositing is slightly increased memory usage, which is not really noticeable on modern computers.

EDIT: Oh, and no, you can't really fix tearing on X.

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
                You had said wayland does not fix tearing, now you say it does but you don't like the way it does so?
                Wayland has a modern architecture, and as such it is composited. Of course you are free to keep on using the 80s-style software, but the only downside compositing has to non-compositing is slightly increased memory usage, which is not really noticeable on modern computers.

EDIT: Oh, and no, you can't really fix tearing on X.
                Yeah linux have everything optional, that is one of the strongest point for linux which *some* people think is the weakest point i know that too, so lets force people to do something like this or that . Modern or not, some people may not like or need so modern things, you can't know that . That is robustness of X vs simplified Wayland solution .

That is why i like X too, everything is maded to be optional . So if someone trying to fix something, please make that optional .

Comment

Some people have issues looking at anything which is composited
                  Please clarify.

I can switch on compositing in my XFCE system without a single pixel changing (well, except the options window where I just activated the compositor).
                  The kinds of desktop designs you can create with compositing are a superset of those you can without.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                    Please clarify.
                    There are very much different people, for example i have friend which is 25 years ophthalmolog, and with compiz she says "oh what is this, do not look at that - it is not easy on eyes" . Then i go to X and openbox she says "no, not good"... then i turn off compton and she says: "oh, that is much much better, do not ever turn on that thing again" . So

Bloody true story, some people just don't like it . Besides, she very much does not like most of the fonts too, that is usual story for different people to not like someting .
                    Last edited by dungeon; 08 July 2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
                      Software is non-corporeal; it does not live or die, neither does it "deserve" anything (or not). You are allowing your emotions to impinge upon your rational judgement.
                      Thank you officer.

Comment

Working...
                      X