The X.Org Foundation Is Funding Work To Improve Nouveau Re-Clocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The X.Org Foundation Is Funding Work To Improve Nouveau Re-Clocking

Phoronix: The X.Org Foundation Is Funding Work To Improve Nouveau Re-Clocking

The X.Org Foundation has decided to fund an Endless Vacation of Code project to improve the support for the Nouveau driver's re-clocking of several generations of NVIDIA GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm very impressed with the AMD open source drivers, but I would also love to see Nouveau become equally as good.

Comment

What job does Roy Spliet have that he can take 12 weeks off to work on this? Either he's self-employed or has a very understanding employer.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        What job does Roy Spliet have that he can take 12 weeks off to work on this? Either he's self-employed or has a very understanding employer.
        PhD student

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          PhD-seeking to be precise. X.org EVoC for me is a great opportunity to bridge this gap and focus my attention solely on nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            I'm very impressed with the AMD open source drivers, but I would also love to see Nouveau become equally as good.
            It'd be nice if noveau was equally as good as the radeon or intel drivers, but honestly I don't really care, because the closed source drivers are more than good enough if you care about gaming. For me, as long as the hardware performs the way it should (or close enough) and if I don't have to pay extra to make them work then I'm satisfied. With AMD the situation is a little different - their catalyst drivers aren't that great, so its nice having an alternative that is quickly improving. It feels like the radeon driver progression has been slowing down a bit but I have a good feeling that they're working on something big. They've got a good team.

Comment

i care

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              It'd be nice if noveau was equally as good as the radeon or intel drivers, but honestly I don't really care, because the closed source drivers are more than good enough if you care about gaming. For me, as long as the hardware performs the way it should (or close enough) and if I don't have to pay extra to make them work then I'm satisfied. With AMD the situation is a little different - their catalyst drivers aren't that great, so its nice having an alternative that is quickly improving. It feels like the radeon driver progression has been slowing down a bit but I have a good feeling that they're working on something big. They've got a good team.
              The radeon drivers are great (foss that is,) I have really benefited from their improvement over the last 4 years; i only hope that attempts like this can make take the nouveau project ahead. The nouveau team has been doing great things lately, and we all know the reclocking is the big ticket item holding back adoption.

The vendor drivers may be good enough for you but I hate all the extra effort it takes to use them, and the periodic breakage that comes from them. Try using an alt. Kernel and it only get's worse. Another pending issue is xwayland support.

I am excited by this work, even though my current card is one that is reported to already work with the existing reclocking effort.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
                The radeon drivers are great (foss that is,) I have really benefited from their improvement over the last 4 years; i only hope that attempts like this can make take the nouveau project ahead. The nouveau team has been doing great things lately, and we all know the reclocking is the big ticket item holding back adoption.

The vendor drivers may be good enough for you but I hate all the extra effort it takes to use them, and the periodic breakage that comes from them. Try using an alt. Kernel and it only get's worse. Another pending issue is xwayland support.

I am excited by this work, even though my current card is one that is reported to already work with the existing reclocking effort.
                It depends on what you do. If you go out of your way to install the latest drivers on a distro like ubuntu, you're going to have a bad time. Stick with what your distro recommends and there's no effort involved, especially with nvidia. I've heard countless complaints about setting up catalyst and I really wonder what people are doing wrong to have such a hard time. I don't use catalyst anymore though, for reasons such as disk space, KDE "fluidity", future wayland support, and the fact that (so far) the Heaven benchmark is the only thing I have that takes advantage of crossfire.

Comment

While I think contributions to opensource software all in all is a good thing, aren't this kind of sponsored projects sending the signal to Intel and AMD that companies are rewarded for their opensource-hostile strategies rather than condemned?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    While I think contributions to opensource software all in all is a good thing, aren't this kind of sponsored projects sending the signal to Intel and AMD that companies are rewarded for their opensource-hostile strategies rather than condemned?
                    It's a better idea to not put people with NVIDIA graphic cards “on the side of the road”. Supporting a proprietary format is fine, see LibreOffice or GIMP supporting .doc or .psd more or less well. It's much better than using the proprietary software.

Both AMD and Intel are actually hostile to free/libre software, outside of the graphics area.

Comment

Working...
                    X