Intel & Radeon DRM Drivers Get Last Minute 3.15 Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
    @Ericg: Shouldn't those files be in /lib/firmware/radeon/ ?
    UsrMerge that Fedora and Arch did a couple years ago. /lib, /bin, /local and something else all got merged into /use so that NFS shares were easier to exploit.. Also there was no real reason for them to be separate anymore
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      IIRC there's a problem with F20 installing on Kaveri. I think the workaround was to force nomodeset (radeon.modeset=0) when booting the install media and that was all, will see if I can dig up some notes.

We switched to F21, and that seemed to work pretty well (at least certain daily builds ).
      Yeah the install is fssssccked on Fedora 20 with Kaveri. Live Medium, even with nomodeset, freezes often. I had most luck with the install DVD.

That being said, this isn't me trying to get it installed, this is post-install and fully updated. Really rather not have to start running rawhide just to get non-llvmpipe..

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Code:
        [egriffith@erics-desktop ~]$ dmesg | grep radeon
        [    1.643940] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
        [    1.644419] radeon 0000:00:01.0: VRAM: 2048M 0x0000000000000000 - 0x000000007FFFFFFF (2048M used)
        [    1.644421] radeon 0000:00:01.0: GTT: 1024M 0x0000000080000000 - 0x00000000BFFFFFFF
        [    1.644505] [drm] radeon: 2048M of VRAM memory ready
        [    1.644506] [drm] radeon: 1024M of GTT memory ready.
        [    1.644539] cik_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/KAVERI_pfp.bin"
        [    1.644618] radeon 0000:00:01.0: Fatal error during GPU init
        [    1.644655] [drm] radeon: finishing device.
        [    1.651899] [drm] radeon: ttm finalized
        [    1.652084] radeon: probe of 0000:00:01.0 failed with error -2
        [egriffith@erics-desktop ~]$
        When building the radeon driver into the kernel (as opposed to building it as a module) you also need to include the firmware into the kernel image. Look here for instructions on how to do that and what files you need to include.

Also note that with llvm 3.4 you will only get OpenGL 3.1, llvm 3.4.1 and mesa 10.1.4 is required for OpenGL 3.3

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
          When building the radeon driver into the kernel (as opposed to building it as a module) you also need to include the firmware into the kernel image. Look here for instructions on how to do that and what files you need to include.

Also note that with llvm 3.4 you will only get OpenGL 3.1, llvm 3.4.1 and mesa 10.1.4 is required for OpenGL 3.3
          Just an update... I got it working. Glxinfo is now reporting OpenGL 3.3 with AMD Kaveri.

In case any other Kaveri users run across this problem, what I did to fix it was run:

Code:
          sudo dracut --drivers radeon --fwdir /usr/lib/firmware/ --force --verbose
          and rebooted. The only thing i can guess at is that Dracut only looks at the currently running modules for inclusion in the initramfs, all others it ignores. Which normally isn't a problem, but since I originally booted with nomodeset I basically put myself in a position where radeon would never be active TO be pulled in by dracut. The command above tells dracut "Do everything you'd normally do, but in addition make sure you also include the radeon module, needed or not."

Thank you Ansla for leading me in the right direction, intentional or not.

Comment

Working...
          X