• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
    Well, I cannot say anything about the package manager
    Thanks for clarifying that!

but there's no decent Fedora mirror in my country (I have looked for one several times). Whereas the Ubuntu mirror is 1ms away and I download from there with 9MBytes/s! So to me the Fedora package management would be waaaaay slower.
    Unlike Debian?s Apt crap Fedora can actually use package deltas. Not only that but Debian packages are often compressed with only gzip, whereas xz compression in RPMs of Fedora (and openSUSE) is standard since many years.
    Therefore the amount of downloaded data required for updates is much lower.

Besides that the practical difference between 5 MBytes/s and 9 MBytes/s is minimal. So a 10 MByte package would be downloaded in 2 seconds instead of one. Big deal?

But more importantly, the installer is a piece of junk. I am pretty competent Linux user yet I couldn't even install Fedora 20 Beta.
    For a self-proclaimed competent user you are pretty incompetent about the meaning of a beta version. Betas have bugs. Betas are meant to find bugs. The bug was fixed in the final F20 version.

Fedora is the last Linux distribution by a competent distributor with a strong focus on the desktop. SUSE focuses on cloud computing, Canonical has never been competent about fixing bugs, Debian is a slow POS with contributors who like to fight more than to get things done, and everything else is volunteer-only and too small to be taken serious.

Comment

Working...
    X